Do not install III hitch | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Do not install III hitch

yea guess your right, if i want to tow more its time for a truck, or possibly an Expedition. Of course that will happen in about 10 years or so, i just bought my Ex Jan 11th of this year, gona be a while b4 i even think about buying a new car/truck.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This is interesting. I have an '06 Explorer Limited with the V8 and I thought it came stock with the Class III hitch and 7K lb towing capacity. I will need to check my paperwork. Thanks for the info.

This is interesting. I have an '06 Explorer Limited with the V8 and I thought it came stock with the Class III hitch and 7K lb towing capacity. I will need to check my paperwork. Thanks for the info.

Because you have the V-8, you do have the capacity to tow up to 7k.

If you have the Class III hitch it will be a 2" hitch, if you have the standard class II it will be 1 1/4 inches, The class III is rated for 7,000lbs but that doesn't mean you should tow that much.

only if you have the towing package other wise they are 3.55s

Correct, the 3.75 is a limited slip while the 3.55 is a nonlimited slip which is probably why the 3.75 comes with the trailer package

This is funny because my parents had an '02 XLT V8 with the Class III hitch and Ford didn't bother to put a trans cooler on it. The difference between 3.55s and 3.73s would not stop me from swapping out the hitches just for functionality. Towing comes down to common sense and the knowledge of how you vehicle is equipped, not the size of the hitch.

Ditto, and the LS was not a standard feature for any gear or other option. The traction lock was an option by itself, available for any vehicle. The higher gear ratios are better for towing, because it is easier on the transmission.

Do you see a common thread here, the transmission. Towing is 99% about heat damaging the transmission. Install a cooler for the trans, if it already has one, install another one. You cannot have too much trans cooling, add them in parallel(no restriction).

Because you have the V-8, you do have the capacity to tow up to 7k.

With a weight distributing hitch...otherwise 5200 according to what came with my 08.

With a weight distributing hitch...otherwise 5200 according to what came with my 08.

Correct. Almost every vehicle that can tow now lists their max tow weight using a weight distributing hitch.

So what does all of that mean?
What is the maximum to capacity of my 06 with the Class III hitch installed?

Don't know if it matters but my hitch was welded on, its not one of those cheapo bolt on kits you buy online.

If you don't mind me asking how did you go about getting it welded on? I don't pull a trailer that often but when I do it would be a class III size. I hate the look of the ones that mount underneath the factory class II so did you end up getting a factory Ford class III and welding it on or what? Also on a side note, from what I understand V8s were only offered with the 3.55 rear end and upgrading to the class III hitch would also upgrade the max. towing capacity.

G4s came from the factory with the rear bumper/hitch(they are one in the same) welded to the frame rails. The G3s had the same setup with the bumper/hitch bolted to the frame rails and allowed them to be swapped. Bolting is the preferred method, I wouldn't weld an add-on hitch.

If you don't mind me asking how did you go about getting it welded on? I don't pull a trailer that often but when I do it would be a class III size. I hate the look of the ones that mount underneath the factory class II so did you end up getting a factory Ford class III and welding it on or what? Also on a side note, from what I understand V8s were only offered with the 3.55 rear end and upgrading to the class III hitch would also upgrade the max. towing capacity.

I simply had a hitch i bought from Eckhart welded on $220.00 included the cost of the hitch and welding it on. I have two hitches now, However i have a hitchmount brake light in the 1 1/4 so it doesn't look bad. However with out the trans cooler and oil cooler, and upgraded rear differential gearing i can only tow 3,500lbs. I got the 2" hitch for my cargo rack and bike rack, lets me hold 500lbs on the hitch, that means more cargo.

As a side note i only use the cargo rack when i go camping, or fishing.

Towing Class III

Towed a Mazda RX-7 (2600lbs) plus trailer (1000lbs) from central California to Albany, Oregon. Three adults+lots of stuff(2000lbs) 5500lbs+Total weight. Not a problem at all. Up & down the grades like they were not there. I installed a Prodigy trailer brake, it is fantastic. Tow my 20ft boat(2500lbs) plus stuff every weekend during the summer. EXST came with the Class III hitch so I know it can tow this. I have seen EX's with the Class II and wonder why:confused:
If you need to tow, you should buy a vehicule that can do it from the start. Trying to retro fit after the fact can be a problem:rolleyes:

Hey JDraper. Your crappy web site is too cool:cool:Like your STANG:thumbsup:

G4s came from the factory with the rear bumper/hitch(they are one in the same) welded to the frame rails. The G3s had the same setup with the bumper/hitch bolted to the frame rails and allowed them to be swapped. Bolting is the preferred method, I wouldn't weld an add-on hitch.

Bolts can break, welds if your good are much stronger

Ah, some bolts can break, I'd put a grade 8 bolt up against most welded on hitches. The hitches will surely come with grade 5 bolts, which are very large bolts, but you can easily swap those if you wished.

Bolted, and Welded

I recomend if possible bolt and weld the hitch on, my hitch was welded on, how ever it originaly was a bolt on, i just had eckhart weld it, also had them use the bolts, and weld the bolts in place, for an extra precaution.

LOL, I lubricate my chassis bolts with anti-seize, they usually are hell to remove if dry.

LOL, I lubricate my chassis bolts with anti-seize, they usually are hell to remove if dry.

Thats nice but what does that have to do with mounting a trailer hitch on a Ford Explorer?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's a light comment(LOL) from your thought which reminds me that those bolts don't typically ever loosen. Regards,

Back