Do rock crawlers rust? | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

• Holiday Special! - 2 for 1 Elite Explorer sale!

Right now you can purchase an Elite Explorer membership for $20 and receive a two year membership! If you have an existing Elite membership contact me by PM and I will upgrade your account manually.

Click Here to start your membership and get rid of the ads!

Do rock crawlers rust?

Holiday Special! Join the Elite Explorers $20 for 2 years! Gets rid of the ads!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

matt97

Reaction score
City, State
windsor,virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 xlt 4x4
The finish should be powdercoated and fairly tough,i would not worry about them rusting.keeping them clean should help.

Arnie897

y=mx+b
Reaction score
City, State
Battle Creek, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
06 Dodge Powerwagon
Everything rusts with time here in Michigan. It all depends on how you care for them.

2001ExpSport

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Chicago, Il
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Sport
Yes they rust, you kind of answered your own question though. They are steel. :rolleyes:

Mine are just about 2yrs old, they are rusting where the wheel weights used to be.

If you are worried about rust on a black rock crawler rim...no offense, but you should choose a different hobby.

What do you expect for 40 bucks a rim.

ToughCountry

Reaction score
City, State
Hopewell Junction NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Explorer Sport
no i dont take offense to ur little comment, but if i wanted a new hobby my question would be "What other hobbies could i do to take up my time?" Thanx guys, ill make sure to keep them clean

Doug

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Sykesville, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
Or just do what I do, and hit them with spray paint when you see rust forming, been workin pretty well for me for a while now. :p

jimcom

Elite Stocker
Reaction score
City, State
Columbia, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLS
LOL, I agree, rustoleum works wonders for covering up all kinds of stuff. :)