Do spark plugs and wires increase performace? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Do spark plugs and wires increase performace?

rm15

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I was just wondering if aftermarket spark plugs and aftermarket spark plug wires make much of an increase in performance? if they do what advantages do they give? what kind of plugs and wires do you guys use and how do you like them?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A bit impatient are we? Some say get the most expensive split or 4 way spark plugs and $200 wires. Some swear by cheap store brands replaced every 10,000 miles. Try both and see which works best for you. Good luck.

I was so impatient because i was going to try to talk my dad into getting some of the stuff today, but to late now

I was so impatient because i was going to try to talk my dad into getting some of the stuff today, but to late now

Well I don't know much about Fords but ... I used to race Turbo Charged cars and it would not run at all with Splitfire or Bosch Plat's. Stay far away from bosch plats. I would say to get NGK. I've run them in my 600hp street cars and have never had a bit of problem. Just gap them correct and you'll be golden. Get good plug wires .. they can only help. I can't say you'll gain any seat of pants hp, but it's good peace of mind. You have to figure if your going to put a few $$ into modifiying your Explorer why skimp on a small dollar item like wires and plugs ($150 ish).

Brian

Good plugs and wires will not increase performance unless the wires/plugs you have on now are worn bad enough to cause a loss of performance. Check out Magnecore's web site for the low down... of all the manufacturers they actually tell you that it won't increase performance and why! http://www.magnecore.com/

97 xlt sohc auto
i use bosch p+4 and i think they are a waste of money only did 15000km before misfiring , stick with the ford plug as they did 40000km before misfiring .
Allso use jacobs lead for 30000km and i highly recommend them a lot better then standed leads

------------------

Back