Do these symptoms point to a specific problem. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Do these symptoms point to a specific problem.

Quxote

Reaction score
City, State
Philly, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 XLT
I just bought a 1995 Exolorer XLT. Here are the problems I am having, hopefully someone will know what might be the problem.

1. Door Ajar light stays on
2. Power Mirrors dont work
3. Interior Lights stay on when door is closed.
4. Front blower for AC and heat does not always work (does sometimes)
5. Rear wiper does not move (but the washer fluid does pump out)
6. 4WD and 4WD Lo lights flash on the dash, vehicle does not go into 4WD when the switch is moved to Auto.

After searching the forum, I read somewhere that if the mirrors dont work, And the door ajar light stays on it might be the black wire inside the rubber boot between the door and the body, anyone have any other suggestions on how to figure out which door is causing the problem. I am thinking problems 1, 2, and 3 are all the same issue. I think #6 is also an issue cause the fuse for the int lights is pulled, which is the same fuse for the 4wd system

Problem 4, the front blowers come on sometimes. I noticed today when it was working, I wanted to switch the blower from feet to head, doing that passes the Off postion, as soon as I did that the blower stopped. Makes me think the switch is bad...anyone know how to test the switch?

Problem 5, the only thing I can think of is a bad wiper motor, I am gonna check the wires to see if they are getting power when the switch is on.

Edit: I just went to the truck and opened every door with the key in, each door makes a sound when the door opens, the passenger, and rear door make a long sound, the driver's door makes a ding ding ding sound (telling me the key is still in the ignition).

The rear tailgate and windoe do not make a sound when they are each opened, are they supposed to?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just bought a 1995 Exolorer XLT. Here are the problems I am having, hopefully someone will know what might be the problem.

6. 4WD and 4WD Lo lights flash on the dash, vehicle does not go into 4WD when the switch is moved to Auto.

After searching the forum, I read somewhere that if the mirrors dont work, And the door ajar light stays on it might be the black wire inside the rubber boot between the door and the body, anyone have any other suggestions on how to figure out which door is causing the problem. I am thinking problems 1, 2, and 3 are all the same issue. I think #6 is also an issue cause the fuse for the int lights is pulled, which is the same fuse for the 4wd system

Problem 4, the front blowers come on sometimes. I noticed today when it was working, I wanted to switch the blower from feet to head, doing that passes the Off postion, as soon as I did that the blower stopped. Makes me think the switch is bad...anyone know how to test the switch?

Problem 5, the only thing I can think of is a bad wiper motor, I am gonna check the wires to see if they are getting power when the switch is on.

Edit: I just went to the truck and opened every door with the key in, each door makes a sound when the door opens, the passenger, and rear door make a long sound, the driver's door makes a ding ding ding sound (telling me the key is still in the ignition).

The rear tailgate and windoe do not make a sound when they are each opened, are they supposed to?

One of the switches in the doors is bad. Open the doors one at a time and the good ones will beep. The bad one will not. This is also causing your dome light to stay on. When you find the bad switch, it will be right where the handle fastens inside the door skin. And they can be a bear to get to easily.

Each door makes a sound (the drivers door makes a different sound though)

But the rear tailgate and window do not make a sound, I opened them one at a time and neither made any sound. Are either of those supposed to make a sound when opened?

My hatch and/or gass do not make the Ex chime when opened... I'd vote for a bad switch or wire. I think you're on the right track, since a malfunction anywhere in there would lead to all of those issues except maybe the mirror, I don't know of any reason that the power mirrors wouldn't function if the door was open...

The blower motor could be- the blower motor. My '99 SHO had a habit of no blowing once in a while, and a quick whack of the motor got it running again for a few months.

The rear wiper issue sounds like a dead motor, but I'd check the wires for corrosion. Saw 2 lately around here that had that issue...

"My hatch and/or gass do not make the Ex chime when opened"...thanks for that info.

"a malfunction anywhere in there would lead to all of those issues except maybe the mirror I don't know of any reason that the power mirrors wouldn't function if the door was open"...i forget what thread but i remember reading that the door ajar switch and the power mirrors share the same ground wire, and if it is broken neither will work..I was hoping someone could confirm since I cant find the thread i read it in.

The biggest problem i am having is locating which door is the issue, since they all chime when opening the doors.

The 4wd lights flashing means that something happened and your computer is confused about it and wants you to get the code read. You can only get it read at a dealership or a place that has the scan tool to read the gem module. There are a couple threads on here about it. Try disconnecting your battery for a few minutes and it will reset the codes. Won't fix the problem but it will at least get them to stop flashing all the time.

Each door makes a sound (the drivers door makes a different sound though)

But the rear tailgate and window do not make a sound, I opened them one at a time and neither made any sound. Are either of those supposed to make a sound when opened?

If the doors are beeping then your bad sensor will be either the glass or hatch or both. Take off the inside skin and you will see the one for the window right on the latch. The other I'm not sure.

Does the WD-40 trick also sometimes work on the rear sensors?

Give it a try and see if it works. Maybe if you spray it and work it you could free it up.

When I mention "chime" on the hatch or glass, I don't get a repeating chime- only the long beep then silence when I open the glass...

Try reading your codes at home, there is a link in my sig... You have a '95 so the process should work. It's OBD-I so there won't be any special codes that you can't read.

Joe,

Thanks for the info, I watched the video in your sig, but it doesnt say how to do the paperclip trick...are there instructions anywhere?..opps nevermind.....found it searching the forums

Also, when you open the hatch and glass you get the long beep?
I dont get a beep on either....do you know where the sensors are for the glass and tailgate?

I assume the glass it's in the latch....but for the tailgate there are 2 black things below the latch...are those the sensors for the tailgate or something else?

Update on Problems:
#2 Power Mirrors dont work, FIXED.....took off the door skin and found the switch unplugged.
#6 4WD and 4WD Lo lights flash on the dash, vehicle does not go into 4WD when the switch is moved to Auto.
FIXED sort of.....when I put the fuse back in for the interior lights, it stops blinking and will show 4WD when turning the knob

Still having a problem with the blower....works sometimes but not always...when turning the dial, I hear a hiss sound.... is that normal? I think it is eather the HVAC controller or the blower motor itself.

Thanks

Another update,

I think I solved the blower motor problem. I tapped the Blower relay and when i do the blower seems to work. So I think i need a new relay.

Does anyone know if the relay for the blower motor has to be specific, I mean are all relays created equal? lol

I have some relays at home but not sure if they are the all same voltage etc, I tried looking at the relay currently in the truck but it doesnt say what the voltage is...just has some ford part numbers printed on it

I FINALLY nailed down each problem. Here's a summary

Problems 1,3,5,6 where all caused by the same problem. Read My post here on how i fixed it
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=261372

Problem 6, was an issue because the previous owner removed the fuse for the interior lights, which also controls the 4WD system, after fixing the door ajar light problem and popping the fuse back in the lights stopped flashing and the 4WD worked.

Problem 4 was a bad blower replay located in the passenger side engine compartment right behind the headlight.

This was simply the plug to the power mirror switch became detached.

Thanks all for your help

Back