Do you feel cramped in your Explorer? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Do you feel cramped in your Explorer?

socal302

Reaction score
So we are in the market for 3rd row seat vehicle. We have 2 kids (4 and 6) with one on the way. I dont want to buy a V8 vehicle due to poor gas mileage. So no matter what vehicle we chose it will probably be too small the day we buy it (and please dont tell me to get a mini van) (I already know it is practical but refuse to make the leap). We are trying to pick between the Explorer, Acadia, and Pilot. Styling and technology wise I say the Explorer wins hands down. Size wise the Acadia or Pilot seem to have a little more room. Advice...?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

One suggestion I would have is to take all of your car seats and/or booster seats and put them into the positions you would normally have them, or would like to have them (Especially since you will have a rear facing seat shortly - Congratulations!!). Then adjust the front passenger seats where you would want them and see if everything works out. I don't think the Explorer will be able to fit 3 across in the second row with a bench. And know that the 3rd row in the Ex only has latch on the passenger side. Also know that the 2nd row bench on the Ex is not adjustable fore and aft. It might be just about impossible to get passengers into the 3rd row with car seats in the 2nd row without removing them first (I am not familiar with how the seat can move with a car seat in it).

We have a 3yo and his seat is on the passenger side 2nd row. We also have the buckets with a console, so that leaves us a free seat to tumble to allow access to the 3rd row. If we are carrying 6 people around regularly (not a common occurrence, but happens when we are toting out-of-towners around), we will move him to the 3rd row, which he actually seems to like better.

Also, you can get the buckets without the console, which would allow for 3rd row access, but I would hesitate before doing that. The 2nd row buckets do not have built-in armrests, so your inboard arm has no place to go. That being said, if those two seats are going to be occupied by car seats for the next couple of years, by the time that matters, it might be time for a new car anyway :) Taking that into account, the 2nd row buckets with no console might be the best, if not possibly the only, way to get everything to work.

The Ex is a great vehicle and we love ours, and I would highly recommend it. One other thing you might want to check is how well all the strollers fit in the back with all of the seats up and ready for use.

Hope that helps :)

i'm in a very similar situation like you, I have a 3 and a 5. One hung complaint is that the rear doors needs alot of room to open to get into the back seat. My wife has a hyundai veracruz and the explorer need an additional 3 inches of opening for my child to get in or out comfortability.

Another word, you'll end up dinging other cars in the parking lots when you try to get your kid in and out of your car. I fail to check this out before i got this car.

Also, the Trunk length is great. But the width is pathetic, you're stroller ain't going to fit side ways. Thats not as bad since your child won't be using the stroller anymore soon.

Buy a mini van, wait till the side door on the exp, is opened up on a car next you at the super market. Seriously there is a reason why they are popular with familys- and actually the details and amendities are very comparable to today luxury SUVS, if thats what you prefer, they drive great on the highway, and can get upto 28 mpg & with certain brands offering incredible resale value. My wife 07 honda odyssey exl with 77k miles was valued 5 thousand less than my 1 year old explorer loaded 4wd XLT with 23000 miles on it.

Hmmm, an Explorer with sliding doors. That would be awesome!

I have a 14, a 13 and 8.5 year old. My 14 year old has a 35" inseam - she's 5'8. My 13 year old is 5'4 but about to spurt *any moment*.

They both sit in the 3rd row without much issue. They are *more* comfortable in the 2nd row but not to the point that they refuse to sit in the back. If they fight too much over the 2nd row, they're banished to the back row (mom of the year ladies and gentlemen) and they don't complain.

My 8.5 year old is still in a booster - not a high back, just the thing he sits on - and he is very comfortable wherever he puts his seat. I can *just barely* fit the 3 kids into the 2nd row with his seat but we're excited for the day when that seat isn't required and if needed, we can get them there. HOWEVER - that means WWIII. So...

Anyways - good good suggestion to take your carseats/boosters and try them in the car. Especially the infant seat now that the recommendation is to keep them rear facing for longer.

Good luck!
(oh and we came *from* a mini-van because the 3rd row leg room was severely lacking for my amazon children)

Amazon children, ha! :D

I'll chime in for the 3rd row comfort. I've spent upwards of an hour and a half in the back row on a non-stop run without a single complaint. I'm just under six feet tall and I have enough room back there to be comfortable. A part of what helps that is the ability to adjust our 2nd row buckets, but I'm not sure how much different they end up being adjusted since you still have to leave room for those in the 2nd row, lol.

Very happy with the room in the new Explorer. I'm 6'2", wife in 5'4", and 2 daughters ages 12 (5'3") and 14 (5'5").

i checked out the new explorer and im a fairly short guy around 5'7" but with really long arms, and even i felt a little cramped in the new explorer. my gf is 5'1'' and even she felt a little cramped too, but it was still pretty comfy in every seat except the ***** seat. overall, if i had to choose between the new X, an acadia and a pilot i would take the new explorer all day. the only suv im taking over the new explorer right now might be the cherokee. that thing is pretty sweet too. the acadia and pilot look like rigs you would see parked outside of a michaels or a pier one imports. i can see a few years from now those two suvs looking really dated and ugly.

i love my explorers, but if i still had had small children i wouldn't own anything but a mini van. mini vans aren't stylish, but are the bomb when you have kids.

I've been happy with the room in the Explorer. I just have one child, who turned 9. I haven't had any issues with room. As another poster mentioned, the doors need to open more it seems. I always open the door for my son when I'm parked next to vehicles, otherwise he would hit the door on another car. The majority of time, I always park a little further out in the parking lot of stores so I'm not next to anyone.

If I were buying now, I would seriously consider the 2013 Acadia Denali. They aren't out yet, but those are really nice. The new Acadia's have some nice technology like the Explorer. They look great too. I love the new LED lighting around the headlights.

If you haven't already, check it out : http://www.gmc.com/2013-acadia-crossover-vehicle.html

I personally love the room in our Ex (we do not have bucket seats). I have a 4yo (in a high back booster) and a 1yo (still rear facing). I do agree that in some parking spots it is a pain to get the door open enough to fit the car seat out! (I don't know if it is because the inside of the door is thicker than most other cars or what, but I do pay attention to where I park now) I have not tried to put 3 seats in the middle row, I have however had both of mine next to each other (it was a bit of a struggle, but I got them in there...however it is not recommended to put two carseats right next to each other unless you have to for safety reasons).

Maybe its because we came from a Grand Am prior to the Ex, but we haven't had any complaints from people being cramped in any of the seats. :cool:

We traded in our Yukon Denali XL for the new 2013 Ex limited. We were concerned abount down sizing from such a large SUV. We are amazed on how much room the explorer actually has. We have a 15 yr old and an 11 yr old. We decided to go with the bench in the second row because we saw little value in the bucket seats. We are constantly shuttling their friends around to. Getting in and out of the third row is a breeze and the leg room in both 2nd and 3rd row is great for both teens and adults.

Back