Do you have pull the bumper to replace a foglight? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Do you have pull the bumper to replace a foglight?

Shylock

Reaction score
City, State
Victoria, BC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLS
Sorry if this is posted elsewhere but I could not find the info.

I'm trying to replace the foglight and plastic housing on an 00 explorer. I pulled the bottom bolt and 2 of the top bolts but the 3rd one is totally inaccessible from under the truck or from the top of the engine bay.

I am ready to pull out the angle grinder and take the last bolt down if I have to drop the bumper - and just mount it with the three bolts... unless there is some easy way I'm overlooking.

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So...you can't to the bolt with a wrench and yet you feel you can stick a grinder in there to cut it out.:wtf:

I don't remember the bolt being that hard to access

Ya all you can see is the bottom threads coming down. The bolt head seems to be walled off by metal. If I grind the threads flush I'm sure it will seat properly and I can just use the others to hold it.

The 3rd bolt is accessible with the right combination of extensions and swivels from above (been there, done that). I got it from the space between the bumper and grille if I recall. Once you get it out, keep it out. The fogs hold in place just fine with just two. It is a ***** to get at, but with patience (and I have little of that), it can be done. Take it from a real "Mental Midget" of a mechanic (me).

I replaced the passenger side fog light in my '01 a few months ago. It was a small challenge to access that bolt, but I did everything through the wheel well. It helps if you turn your tire so you have more room. I assure you it can be replaced without removing the bumper.

Thanks everyone. Got it without using a swivel. Just came at it from the inside of the engine bay with maybe a 4 inch extender and ratchet. Was a total ******* though.

Back