• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Do you have pull the bumper to replace a foglight?

Shylock

Reaction score
City, State
Victoria, BC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLS
Sorry if this is posted elsewhere but I could not find the info.

I'm trying to replace the foglight and plastic housing on an 00 explorer. I pulled the bottom bolt and 2 of the top bolts but the 3rd one is totally inaccessible from under the truck or from the top of the engine bay.

I am ready to pull out the angle grinder and take the last bolt down if I have to drop the bumper - and just mount it with the three bolts... unless there is some easy way I'm overlooking.

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Stic-o

Elite Movie Star
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Lake View Terrace, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 Navajo '99 XL '16 XLT
So...you can't to the bolt with a wrench and yet you feel you can stick a grinder in there to cut it out.:wtf:

I don't remember the bolt being that hard to access

Shylock

Reaction score
City, State
Victoria, BC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLS
Ya all you can see is the bottom threads coming down. The bolt head seems to be walled off by metal. If I grind the threads flush I'm sure it will seat properly and I can just use the others to hold it.

celly

disturber of the peace
Reaction score
City, State
calgary
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 eb 5.0 awd
The 3rd bolt is accessible with the right combination of extensions and swivels from above (been there, done that). I got it from the space between the bumper and grille if I recall. Once you get it out, keep it out. The fogs hold in place just fine with just two. It is a bitch to get at, but with patience (and I have little of that), it can be done. Take it from a real "Mental Midget" of a mechanic (me).

X6StringerX

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Lincoln MKS EcoBoost
I replaced the passenger side fog light in my '01 a few months ago. It was a small challenge to access that bolt, but I did everything through the wheel well. It helps if you turn your tire so you have more room. I assure you it can be replaced without removing the bumper.

Shylock

Reaction score
City, State
Victoria, BC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLS
Thanks everyone. Got it without using a swivel. Just came at it from the inside of the engine bay with maybe a 4 inch extender and ratchet. Was a total bastard though.