Do you leave that rubber thingy on top of engine? What is it's purpose? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Do you leave that rubber thingy on top of engine? What is it's purpose?

Halford1

Reaction score
City, State
California
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Ford Explorer XLT
Should I leave the rubber thing on top of engine? Does it increase heat which hurt engine in the summer? Is it better without that rubber thing?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I found that the foam/rubber covering just collects dust on mine.

now its called rubber dust collector?

It's to make the engine bay look kind of nice. You can take it off. I just leave it on and I do crazy things with my car like floor it all the time and it's fine. If it makes you feel better take it off.

makes no difference, mainly for noise and it looks all purdy when someone opens the hood to check the oil I guess? Leaving it on traps heat in hot climates and will deteriorate the plastics and wires a little sooner...become brittle sooner. I had a vehicle where all the injector connectors broke like glass when I tried to remove them, but if you plan on never touching it, doesn't matter.

To remove it undo the oil fill cap and lift the cover straight up.

I doubt that it adds to the premature destruction of electrical insulation. I have seen that happen on wiring that is not covered in anything.

it retains the heat under the cover and the loom that houses the wires turn into solid plastic, the wires are usually ok, but trying to move the hardened harness puts stress on the wires inside.

It's just a cover to make the engine bay look more "Tidy" it doesn't hurt anything, doesn't ruin your wiring harness. it's merely a cosmetic item. it's not going to hurt the engine.
Most vehicles made now have the same style engine covers.

its mostly to keep noise down first, then for appearance. The thick insulation under them is not for show. If you've ever taken a cover off an emergency vehicle etc that have always had those covers on compared to ones that had them missing or removed, the wires are rock hard as well as other plastic parts, but those vehicles idle for long periods and have been driven very hard, anyways:popcorn:

...its not a night and day difference, I personally wouldn't worry about it either way. If you did vent the by-pass valves to atmosphere, turning them into blow off valves, supposedly the rushing air noise on decel is much louder:rolleyes:

'Appearance Cover'...to hide all wires and clean up the engine bay. Nearly every manufacture hides the motor with a 'cover'.

The cover did not keep my engine from collecting dust. Just an appearance to cover the not so pretty engine appearance. wish Ford divert moving air in or under the cover to keep engine cooler.

Back