Do you use Oil Treatment Additive for your Explorer ? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Do you use Oil Treatment Additive for your Explorer ?

Among my "toys" is a 900-horsepower '67 Camaro 1/4-mile drag-race car. I've been racing this car with the same engine since 1999. Every winter, my buddies and I tear it down for a close look at rings and bearings. We've never replaced either because we can't detect any wear. The motor oil we use is Mobil 1 5w30 WITHOUT any additive. We buy our Mobil 1 motor oil at Walmart.

now that's a beauty even if it is a chevy :) :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

From a standing start how does your Explorer fare against the Camaro?

I've never raced my Platinum, but ...

According to Edmunds, my 2016 Explorer Platinum equipped with the 3.5-liter Ecoboost engine will run the 1/4 mile in 14.6 seconds at about 95 mph. My 406 cubic-inch, small-block '67 Camaro runs the 1/4 mile in 9.03 seconds at about 149 mph. So, the Camaro would win easily.

BTW, the Camaro is street legal.

Mobil One full synthetic in my Limited, Bimmer, and Z16 Vette.

I used the STP oil additive about 40 years ago. Here is what your 2015 Owner's Guide says about oil additives;

Do not use supplemental engine oil additives. They are unnecessary and could lead to engine
damage that is not covered by your Ford warranty.

Peter

if its truly makes the engine live longer, of course all manufactures will put that in the manual. they don't want the engine live longer.

but i still don't trust those products

"if its truly makes the engine live longer, of course all manufactures will put that in the manual. they don't want the engine live longer."
Sure,,,, another conspiracy theory.
Seriously, how can you say stuff like that?
If you had any ideas how products are manufactured and tested with a built-in life cycle, you would know that cars manufacturers have plenty of ways to design planned obsolescence without resorting to such a primitive, unsophisticated and unreliable way to achieve their goal
BTW, the main reason cars end up in junkyards todays is not the engine anymore so its really a moot point

Just wondering if you guys use Oil Treatment Additives for explorer

No. Waste of money. 6 qts of Mobil 1 5W-20 Full Synthetic can be sourced at discount for $30. I run it for 10K miles. Getting ready to turn 100K miles. Zero issues.

"if its truly makes the engine live longer, of course all manufactures will put that in the manual. they don't want the engine live longer."
Sure,,,, another conspiracy theory.
Seriously, how can you say stuff like that?
If you had any ideas how products are manufactured and tested with a built-in life cycle, you would know that cars manufacturers have plenty of ways to design planned obsolescence without resorting to such a primitive, unsophisticated and unreliable way to achieve their goal
BTW, the main reason cars end up in junkyards todays is not the engine anymore so its really a moot point

I respect your point. but, compare new modern engines with old ones, it's not a conspiracy theory it's a fact. just a simple example: BMW now putting the their cars and external electric water pump. ok it's easy to replace but easy to fail and costly to change. i would say this is much better than ford they are putting the water pump almost inside the engine with plastic impeller !! Why the hell they do that ? well there is a lot of examples if we keep talking about it, this topic will go off topic with multiple directions.

No. Waste of money. 6 qts of Mobil 1 5W-20 Full Synthetic can be sourced at discount for $30. I run it for 10K miles. Getting ready to turn 100K miles. Zero issues.

Thank you.

Our Ford dealer using 5W-30 because our hot weather. i'm also using Full synthetic oil.

stick with brand name synthetic oil and a brand name oil filter, Ford etc.

Back