Do you wear a seatbelt? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Do you wear a seatbelt?

Do you wear a seatbelt?

• Yes, always.

Votes: 398 81.1%
  • No, never

Votes: 29 5.9%
  • Depends (please post what it depends on)

Votes: 64 13.0%

• Total voters

Charlie

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Wisconsin
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Limited
So, basically my question is, do you wear a seatbelt? I always do, but the other day riding in a friends econoline, the rear seatbelts didn't work, so I wasn't wearing one. It's weird when you always wear one. Also, is it a law that you need to wear a seatbelt in your state?

The law here, is you need to be wearing a seatbelt if you are in a seat. If you are over 16, you can ride in the back of SUV's and don't need a seatbelt (if in cargo area) and you can also ride in truck beds, just so long your head is lower than the top of the cab, and you are not sitting on the wheel well or the sides of the bed. You also can't go on the interstate in a truck bed.

What are your state's laws?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

In FLORIDA, wearing a seatbelt is required.

Yup in Cali it has been a law for some time u half to wear a seatbelt. and riding in pick up truck beds was also outlawed after a family got killed out here from being in the back of a truck after it flipped on the freeway.

Yeah-
I need to get back into the habit of clicking up.

I always wear a seatbelt. I feel weird without one like you do. And when I drive I make everyone else in the car buckle up as well, whether or not they like it. No one is dying on my watch...

Where I am, it's the Law.

Unless you are a professional driver, under special circumstances.

-mc

I do but here's the interesting thing: I remember back in grade school when some school buses didnt have seat belts -- why? Is there some sort of a law that says if the vehicle is over some GVWR then seatbelts are no longer required? Just like how bumper/lift laws dont apply to heavy trucks (at least not in MD)?

As far as I know, no school buses have seat belts. Seems like the place you would want them the most:confused:

School busses here have no belts-

School buses here do not have seat belts.

Some of ours did, I remember cauz kids would always leave them hanging off of the seat and they would clank around on speed bumps

always... even if we had no seatbelt laws I would wear it.
I feel weird without it...mostly unsafe.

Some of my buddies still ride without it.

I always do and it's the law in Maryland. In fact in Maryland you can be pulled over for it, they don't need something else to pull you over for. And also if anybody gets caught not wearing a seat belt in a vehicle the driver still gets a ticket even if they're wearing one.

In fact in Maryland you can be pulled over for it, they don't need something else to pull you over for. And also if anybody gets caught not wearing a seat belt in a vehicle the driver still gets a ticket even if they're wearing one.

Same here. I don't like the part about the driver getting ticketed though, because if the person is over 18, and they choose not to wear one in my car, that is their choice.

Always, no matter what.

Yes it's the law in Washington state. If you want to ride with me, you're wearing one too.

Always wear mine, my parents always made me wear it when I was little and now it's just habbit, I don't even think about it.

Car does not move till the belts are on...

Living proof here they work:thumbsup:

...and they allow your passenger to not spill there Dr. Pepper! :p: :roll:

I'm not one of those bull headed,"I'm not wearing a belt" guys-but you all are making me feel guilty--:thumbsup:
I have just in the last 3 years developed a habit of crawling in and driving due to "discomfort". I hate my spine--:(

On the other hand-
I do think the seatbelt law is just another way of getting a look inside our cars.
And that I don't like-:mad:
I'm not hiding anything, nor would I be stupid enough to drive with it in my truck if I was,
But I do like my privacy. It is about all I have to myself.:D

Here in Kansas, If you are the driver of a motorcycle you can choose whether you wear a helmet or not.
I believe the driver of a car has the same right.

Using the seat belt law as a means to pull me over is an infringement on my rights, IMO

If there is a passenger though-I feel it is the driver's duty to enforce the law by example. There I have fallen short. I will try to do better.:D

I do always.

FYI, the seat belt for the driver is not primarily for avoiding injury, but to help driver control in accidents. The control of the vehicle is much better when the driver is held in the seat, and not slipping or falling out. Without a seat belt any driver can be slung out of the seat by the first forces of any impact. Held in the seat, the driver is far more likely to help control the vehicle instead of being just another object bouncing around. Regards,

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

As mentioned in Washington it is law to wear your seatbelt. I do have to look into the back of truck thing though...I do know that if the vehicle is X number of years old and was not equipped with seatbelts, they cannot ticket you for not having installed and wearing them though.

But that is not why I wear mine...in honesty, after driving tow truck for a living and cleaning up accidents, seeing enough dead bodies that probably would be living people still, IF they had worn their seatbelts...well it is just common sense.

JT I can relate to the spine issues, but I still wear mine, and anyone in my vehicles wears theirs, or the car doesn't move.

Back