Perry

Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Loveland Co.
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT
Today they had this thing called "Route 2002 an american road trip" which Jeff and Jane got a invite to so they asked if I wanted to go?

What you do is get to drive the different vehicles they have. You got to drive 2 vehicles of each manufactor.

On the offroad coarse I had a choice of a Wrangler, Liberty, and Grand Cherokee. I took the Liberty since we have thought of getting one. I was really impressed on how well it did. They had off camber turns, bumps, washboard area, bridge with just poles, and a BIG HILL at the end. I thought it did really well in all the different things you were able to put it thru.

Then I drove it on the on-road coarse. They start you out going as fast as you can then you slam on the breaks. Then they had left turns, figure 8 and a couple other things and again I decided to take the Liberty over the Grand Cherokee. They also had a Nissan X-tarria that you could compare and Jeff drove it and he said it sucked. Again I liked how well that little Liberty did on the pavement. They say they know that the Nissan is good off-road, but they want to show that it isn't as good on road.

Then it was off to the trucks which I decided to do the Durango over the Dakota and ram trucks. I liked how it did, but for the difference in money I still like the Liberty.

Then I tried out a PT cruiser which was nothing special. To slow for me but they said at the end of the year you will be able to get it with a turbo.

I then decide to compare the Sebring convertible against the Mustang. I couldn't believe how bad the abs worked on the Mustang. It wasn't a GT but a V-6 verson which is compatible to the Sebring.

After about 4 hours of drivng the different vehicles I would have to say that little Liberty isn't all that bad of a vehicle.

Only thing I have to say is I wished FORD would do something like this and if they don't they will be finding themselves at the back of the pack. This really gives people a good idea of how these vehicles work.

The thing I really had fun watching is these people that have never been off road trying to do the off road course.
At the really big hill at the end we watched them stop, the driver get out and change places with the person that they had go with you. They were to scared to drive up the hill. I also talked to the girl that road with me and she said she had lots of people do that or at other places on the course.

Just thought maybe someone would be interested in this and if it comes to your town go check it out. I thought it was a lot of fun.

They also had a couple proto type cars that were pretty cool.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have heard the same thing about those libertys. I even think they are already making lift kits for them. I don't like the way they look though. :rolleyes:

did you drive an 02 or an 03?
DC was going to lower the suspension for the 2003 model almost an inch in the front and rear. They say to give a more comfortable onroad ride but many on the Dodge Ram Mailing List believe that it is due to the rollover problem of the Liberty. As some of you recall Autoweek managed to roll the Liberty during its test and a german manufacturer got it on 2 wheels.
liberty_twowheels.jpg

liberty_crashed.jpg

These pictures were taken from the AutoWeek website sometime last year.

They look like a funny wrangler to me

Ford does do a test like that. It's called the "No Boundaries" tour. They had one outside Philly last year. ExplorerEB96 went to it and tried out a couple of vehicles. I think they had the Explorer, Expedition, Excursion and the Escape there. She could tell you more about what they did, but I do know they had a dirt course with hills there.

As far as the Liberty, we were talking to a couple of the guides at Paragon, and they were not real happy with them. Apparently they had a Liberty get together there, and quite a few of them broke the front axles on the trail. Their estimation on the problem was that the torque tubes were too thin and couldn't handle the stress when climbing on the rocks.

I just thought it was fun being able to take a new vehicle from a stop and hammer the pedal. Then go about 50 yards and smash the break as hard as you can.

The guy that road with me in the PT Cruiser said most people will let up before he tells them to hit the breaks, but I waited as long as I could. I wanted to get going as fast as I could. They have a row of cones up that in your mind it makes you think you need to stop early, but I figured they had it planned right and we stopped a good car length from the cones.

My dad and I went to Jeep 101 and Chrysler Test Drive last year in Charlotte, NC and it was awesome! I drove the Grand Cherokee Limited with Quadra Drive and it handled offroad very well. Then I drove the Liberty on the road course and like Perry said, it handles very well.

Next, I drove a Chrysler 300M and let me tell ya...IT'S AWESOME!!!!!! At the acceleration/deceleration section, I got up to 60 mph before I hit the brakes. It handled like a dream too. If I had to sell my Explorer today, I'd get the 300M. I also drove the Sebring coupe and it was alright. My dad drove a Town & Country Limited and he was messing with the power liftgate and doors. I think they're pretty convient but when it breaks...SOL!!!

For some reason I just can't beleive the Liberty handles the road very well. It looks so dang top-heavy.

If "FORD" does have a program like this I wished they would come out this way. I would be there in a heart beat to check them out.

Yes I didn't think the Liberty would do really well either, but when we finished the course the guy that was riding with me said that was the fastest he had been around that section.

I figure they want you to try it so I did.
:D

I went to the Ford and Chrysler test drive days when they were outside philly last year. I drove all the Fords. They had the new Explorer, the sport-trac, explorer sport, Escape, Expedition, and Excursion. I remember being really impressed by the new Explorer because it handled everything off road and was a lot nicer than my 91 on road. When I was in the Excursion they just sprayed water on the off camber hill and it started sliding sideways. The Excursion was also a lot better on road than the old Suburban I drove before. That one was the limited model with the diesel engine and they had the price sticker inside on the console. It was close to 50,000 so its the most expensive thing I ever drove.

At the Chrysler test drive I drove the sebring convertible but hit the brakes too early at the beginning. When I drove the Sebring sedan the guy with me in it said I got it to the highest speed of anyone he went with. I drove the Jeep Wrangler off-road and the Liberty on road. I don't think their course was good for the Liberty because it took too much steering to get around their turns.

Carl :usa:

Back