• Register Today It's free!

Dodge D44 for SAS?

WickedWindsor

Reaction score
City, State
Ontario, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
351 powered, 1991 XLT 4x4
I can't find any info anywhere so far. Searching...
Can a late model up to 2001 1500 front Dana 44 be used for a SAS? I know they have unit bearings, OK don't mind. The diff is on the drivers side=good. Can the passenger side be shortened using wagoneer axle shaft? They are easy to come by around here unlike '79 Ford axle assemblies. I can't find any write ups anywhere for these as a candidate.

I found an old article today in a 4x4 mag I had lying around that was all about using a Ford center section retubed with late model Dodge inner C's and unit bearing knuckles. The Dodge has a CAD (center axle disconnect) which was done away with the retubing. Same principle as Jeep Cherokee except this is apparently not supposed to be a week point in this axle.
I'm not going to do an SAS soon but am looking for an axle to start working on and prepping for the right time.
I'm also looking for late model Ford axles Dana 44 or 60 maybe. Can a 60 be shortened? I guess I could have a custom passenger side axle made.

You can totally narrow a 60, like you said, get a custom shaft built.
You could also run that dodge D44, BUT i'm pretty sure no one makes chromoly stub shafts for them. If you do find some, let me know, I blew up my buddy's D44 stub, u-joint, and inner shaft on his dodge.

Back