Does a 1995 Explorer ECU have to be programmed? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Does a 1995 Explorer ECU have to be programmed?

FordPickup

Reaction score
City, State
Boca Raton, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Explorer
I'm replacing the ECU in my '95. At the last minute I saw a clause in the sales slip that said that the seller was not responsible for programming ECUs. I called the guy's attention to that, and he said that applies to newer ECUs, but my '95 won't have to be programmed. Is he correct?

As the '95 is pre-PATS, I don't see why it would need to be programmed. No key codes to be programmed into it.

As the '95 is pre-PATS, I don't see why it would need to be programmed. No key codes to be programmed into it.
@FordPickup
Gen 3s have the VIN configured into the PCM or ECU. Not certain about Gen 2, but think it likely. A VIM mismatch between PCM and any of the other Modules, such as ABS, will result in ABS light constantly ON, cannot be turned off, no drivability problems from it, though. The DTC code "VIN Mismatch" will be found. imp

@FordPickup
Gen 3s have the VIN configured into the PCM or ECU. Not certain about Gen 2, but think it likely. A VIM mismatch between PCM and any of the other Modules, such as ABS, will result in ABS light constantly ON, cannot be turned off, no drivability problems from it, though. The DTC code "VIN Mismatch" will be found. imp

That may be true and I didn't think about things like wheel size and gear ratios.

Back