Does a Ranger BL work on an 02 explorer? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Does a Ranger BL work on an 02 explorer?

fordtoughgirl

Reaction score
City, State
The South
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 Explorer
Hey Guys! Im new here. I have an 02 Explorer and I want to get a 3 inch body lift on it, ive looked high and low, and there are no 02 body lift kits available. ive heard that the 00-03 ranger-edge body lift is a good substitution. please help me! (i wanna get back to my off-roading in the explorer ASAP!)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There are currently no body lifts available for the 3rd generation 4 doors. Due to the way the suspension is designed not much can be done with them. However alot of us here have used body lifts from rangers on our explorers and a body lift could probably be used on your truck but as far as i know no one has done it yet. You're going to have a hard time making a 2002 offroad worthy, they're more like mini vans now than they are trucks.

However if you have a 2dr there are alot more options available and you'll have more than a couple of options for lifting and wheeling your truck.

^^I believe the Explorer with the prototype Rancho 2.5" lift also had a BL, but I'm not sure. There were a few people a few months ago that kept on saying they were doing it...but as far as I know, no one on here has actually done it.

so, the rancho 2.5" lift had a body lift for the 02 explorer? (btw, mine is a 4 door)

DOUG: so it is possible to use the ranger body lift bc they are built on a similar base correct? do you know much about how they work ands tuff>

what about add-a-leafs? would that do the same thing as a body lift but wont be as hard to find? if you know of any BL or add-a-leafs for the 02 4wd 4 door explorer, please let me knwo!

You can't use add-a-leafs because you don't have leaf springs in the rear since yours is the 4dr...you have independent rear suspension. The Rancho lift kit was a suspension lift that was only a prototype. I have not heard anything in about a year about them releasing it finally for everyone to buy.

In my opinion, you should find a shop that works on 4x4's a lot, and does custom work. Not someone like 4 wheel parts, because they won't install anything that isn't made for your truck. :rolleyes: Find a custom shop and talk to them...see what body lift they think would be easiest for yours(probably Ranger). It will obviously cost more to install a body lift on a truck it isn't made for, but they will have to make custom brackets, etc. to raise bumpers and make it look like it was meant for your truck. Where in the south are you? If you are anywhere around here, I know of a lot of good shops that would do this for you.

im in cloudland georgia. im willing to go anywhere in the state. how much more does a custom cost? i mean, i dont have 3 grand to spend. i have about 1500 bucks. i know its not much, but i am desparate to get this sucker off road! (i had a chevy 1500 with a 6 in lift, but it died....so my dad gave me his "old" explorer.)

Body lifts can be purchased for about $150, but I have no idea about custom fab work at all. I am new to the explorer scene, but I haven't seen a 3rd gen lifted yet.

Doug said:
There are currently no body lifts available for the 3rd generation 4 doors. Due to the way the suspension is designed not much can be done with them. However alot of us here have used body lifts from rangers on our explorers and a body lift could probably be used on your truck but as far as i know no one has done it yet. You're going to have a hard time making a 2002 offroad worthy, they're more like mini vans now than they are trucks.

However if you have a 2dr there are alot more options available and you'll have more than a couple of options for lifting and wheeling your truck.
There is a body lift out there that can be adapted. I cant remember which one, but ive seen a few pics of bodylifted 3rd gen 4 doors. Here's one i saved-----

Attachments

• 56545.jpg
    56545.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 597

James, that thing looks really good, any clue on the tire size?

FTG-Where is cloudland at? I've never even heard of it. If you pick the right place, it shouldn't cost you more than about $500 labor AT MOST. That is high, even with it being custom. I know of a place that did a Ranger BL on a Sport Trac for 2/3 the cost 4WP said they'd do an Explorer for. Don't know the name of the place though, and I don't think I can find out (my dad talked to the guy). Let me know where that is and hopefully I can give you the name of a few shops that would possibily do it. More than likely though, you'll have to call a few shops to find one willing to do it, and for the right price.

bmxking5 said:
James, that thing looks really good, any clue on the tire size?
They look like Buckshots. If they are, then they are 33x12.50x16's. If not, then they are 305/70/16's. Wheels are 16x8.

fordtoughgirl said:
so, the rancho 2.5" lift had a body lift for the 02 explorer? (btw, mine is a 4 door)

DOUG: so it is possible to use the ranger body lift bc they are built on a similar base correct? do you know much about how they work ands tuff>

The most important part of a body lift, the pucks that actually lift the body are pretty much universal. The things that differ are the steering exentsions and the various small brackets that relocate the bumpers, radiator, fan shroud etc. You'll also have to get different bolts, more than likely most of the bolts in the kit will be the wrong length. The hardest part would be the steering extension, a kit designed for another ford may work but I couldn't tell you which one would. Aparently there is a steering extension available out there as jamest has seen some lifted 3rd gens.

BMXking: well, i goto school in athens. im at UGA. so, anywhere near athens would work as well.
James: hmm, if you can find out what the body lift kit that was modified is, id be so grateful!

I will give you a few numbers because I am sure a few of these shops(many cater to the every need of Heeps) will say no or give you a rediculous price. You can look on their sites and see that many of them do custom stuff.

Built for Abuse <--No experience with them(Built cages for 14 yrs.:eek: )
390-B Sharon Industrial Way
Suwanee, GA 30024
770-614-7330
http://www.builtforabuse.com/

Cheesewerks <--GREAT guy(made my sliders)...everything is custom
4104 W. White Rd
Oakwood, GA 30566
678-227-3341
http://cheesewerks.com/index.html

4WD Parts Center <--Heard great things about them
3564 Buford Highway
Duluth, GA 30096
770-814-8000
http://www.4wdpartscenter.com/

Off-Road Innovations
4306 Cleveland Hwy
Gainseville, GA
(770) 983-7996.
http://www.4x4ori.com/index.html

Street Truck Supplies Offroad (Street & offroad from what I've heard-Prob. closest since it is right off of 316 near Athens)
1354 Duncan Lane Suite B
Auburn, GA 30011
770-867-8894
http://www.streettrucksupplies.com/

Performance Offroad Center (Heard they're good...close to Athens too I think)
168 Commerce Boulevard
Bogart, GA 30622-2222
(706) 548-9393
http://www.performanceoffroadcenter.com/

Kennesaw Mtn. Accessories
8858 Brightstar Road Suite C
Douglasville, GA 30134
770-947-0990
Dead Link Removed

Also...American 4 Wheel Drive and Southern Offroad Specialties(?)

ONLY AS LAST RESORTS!!
4 Wheel Parts
911 North Cobb Parkway
Marietta, GA 30062-2411
770-427-9840

&

4570 Buford Highway
Norcross, GA 30071
770-840-0365
http://www.4wheelparts.com/

There are BL's for the 3rd gen. You can use the Performance Accessories kit for the 98-2000 ranger i believe. All you have to do is fab the bumper mounts. if i was at my computer id send you the links to needed info. This is what i am getting ready to do to mine.

Hi Doug - Don't know about the Ford Explorer not being off road worthy. I crossed the Simpson Desert in the middle of Australia in my 2003 model last year - 700 odd sand dunes and the car was fantastic. I have also done some serious tracks in the high country in Victoria.

FYI, I had a problem with the water pump, Ford put a hole in the bottom and the top and as the conditions were very dusty and sandy (as it tends to be a in a desert), some dirt got into the pump and buggered the seals. Anyone who takes their Explorer off road in dusty condiitons should seal over the hole in the top of the pump. Jeeps have the same problem I believe.

Keep on Ford's back about a lift kit for the 03 model, these cars are getting quite popular in Australia, most of them don't see the dirt in anger but some do (mine definitely does).

Cheers

Louise.

Louise,

What kind of tires (tyres) do you use?

Thanks.

Bob

pistolPJ said:
There are BL's for the 3rd gen. You can use the Performance Accessories kit for the 98-2000 ranger i believe. This is what i am getting ready to do to mine.
hmm...i think your explorer is a different body style.
the four door 3rd gens are really different than your 2nd gen sport.
unless you have one(3rd gen) that isnt listed in your signature.

Hi Doug
I have just (last Monday) put a set of Coopers Discoverer on the car (The A/T's).

Up until then, they were the stock standard Michelen's. They lasted me 65,000kms over some rough ground so I was very impressed with them.

Cheers

Louise.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

n3m3s1s said:
hmm...i think your explorer is a different body style.
the four door 3rd gens are really different than your 2nd gen sport.
unless you have one(3rd gen) that isnt listed in your signature.

I would be grateful if you could let me know how you go with the Ranger Lift Kit for your Explorer, however as you said, it may be a different body style to the one you have. I'll post a piccy of the big red beast (or as I call it, the Yank Tank) for you.

Muchly thanks

Louise.

Back