Does a tire pressure monitor in a full size spare cause any confusion with the system ?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Does a tire pressure monitor in a full size spare cause any confusion with the system ??

DeraldR

Reaction score
City, State
Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer Sport
Just bought a 2016 Sport, and it will have a full size spare that I intend to use as part of a five tire rotation.

I want to put a monitor into the spare, but will it cause confusion with the computer ? ?

Or will I just have to go around the car after a tire rotation and reset each wheel monitor ??

Derald.

Just bought a 2016 Sport, and it will have a full size spare that I intend to use as part of a five tire rotation.

I want to put a monitor into the spare, but will it cause confusion with the computer ? ?

Or will I just have to go around the car after a tire rotation and reset each wheel monitor ??

Derald.
A full-sized spare, according to several members, will not fit in the 5th gen tire well. I believe the width of the tread prevents it from sitting down in the well so you likely won't be able to secure it with the current hardware. Also, it will probably sit high enough so that the cover won't go back on.
I don't know for sure if a 5th TPMS will affect the system or not. I don't believe it has been tested before.

Peter

A full-sized spare, according to several members, will not fit in the 5th gen tire well. I believe the width of the tread prevents it from sitting down in the well so you likely won't be able to secure it with the current hardware. Also, it will probably sit high enough so that the cover won't go back on.
I don't know for sure if a 5th TPMS will affect the system or not. I don't believe it has been tested before.

Peter

I am fully aware of the storage of a full size spare., My question was about the 5th monitor possibly confusing the system.

I will be eliminating the third row seats and building a bracket to hold the spare ( with a cover ) in an upright position

on the left hand side of the cargo area.

Back