• Register Today It's free!

Does Acetone hurt O2 Sensors ??

Katmandu

Reaction score
City, State
Troy, Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Explorer Eddie Bauer
My 98 EX w/4.0 and 85k miles just threw a Check Engine Light. Had the local parts monkey pull the code. Code 153 Up Stream O2 Sensor.

Only thing that I've done different in the last month (other than new plugs/wires) is to add Acetone to the fuel. 2oz/10gallon.

Ideas ??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Acetone, is 5% pure water, it is also hygroscopic (attracts water) do's it have an effect on the metal componants of your fuel system? only time will tell

spindlecone said:
Acetone, is 5% pure water, it is also hygroscopic (attracts water) do's it have an effect on the metal componants of your fuel system? only time will tell
I understand that, but with a ratio of 2oz : 10 gallons I don't see how that's possible.

Katmandu said:
I understand that, but with a ratio of 2oz : 10 gallons I don't see how that's possible.
Maybe so, maybe not, at this point all seems to be conjecture.
When the thread was hot, all jumped on the band wagon (not Me)
most got great results, some none, tests were done using GPS, people reported great MPG increases, some reported no increase, than the thread died, is all smoke and mirrors, is all B.S IMO
But there will be those that will keep the Acetone thread alive
and now we have one acetoneon, reporting a problem

Maybe your O2 sensor just went bad?

I doubt the low concentration of acetone had anything to do with it.

Robb said:

can you state that as a fact Robb?

spindlecone said:
can you state that as a fact Robb?
What?

Did I attempt to state anything as a fact?

And when you can state, as fact, that acetone had anything to do with this guy's O2 sensor going bad.................please do.

Its not uncommon for an o2 to go bad at 85k. I would not attribute the failure to acetone.

No I cannot state that as fact, it is merely my opinion. :p

i get 100 mpg because i run pure acetone in my truck ;) LOL

Robb said:

Why and how do you doubt what you said above?

All opinions wellcome, all eliments of doubt accepted, just show me the beef:)

The beef of what?

Show "us" the beef that acetone, when used at a concentration of 2oz/10 gallon, harms O2s!!

Dang. When I first saw this thread title, I imagined that someone soaked their O2 sensor in Acetone. :confused:

Why does anyone believe that adding a small amount of Acetone to Gasoline would change your mpg? I missed that thread.

Robb said:

Could be. :( Dunno for sure yet. I had the parts monkey reset the Code. So far it hasn't come back on yet (after 100 miles or so of driving).

Now bout the Acetone. I've read up on it's use extensively and have YET to hear any REAL Negative effects on vehicles fuel systems (OR O2 Sensors for that matter). The concentration is simply to low to cause corrosive damage to metal components of fuel systems. I never heard of O2 sensors going bad because of it, but thought my EX maybe one of the 1st!

There's just too much Positive proven proof facts out there to back up Acetone's positive effects on improving MPGs. The results are overwhelming to say the least. Yea, you here of folks that have had NO increases and some even decreases.

There's too many variables to pin down the exact cause of the negative effect of Acetone. My belief is that Acetone's effect REALLY comes into play during sustained Highway driving. Also, if one uses TOO MUCH acetone, it will negate the evaporative (or whatever property it's called) effect of acetone.

I've personally seen a 2-3 MPG INCREASE in my EX's Highway fuel mileage. It was obtaining around 19 MPG and is now obtaining 21-22 MPGs on a CONSISTENT basis.

So the decision for me is a No brainer. I will continue using Acetone and will tell everyone I can about it.

Well, it's been over 500 miles since my PCM was reset from the CEL for the O2 sensor and it has NOT come back on.

Also, my Highway Fuel Mileage is NOW OVER 23!! Actually 23.2 MPG!!

This is on a 98 EX Eddie Bauer 4x2 with 4.0 SOHC, 4.10 gears and 255/70-16 Revos !! :thumbsup: :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back