does any one know anything about toyota pickup trucks? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

does any one know anything about toyota pickup trucks?

Reaction score
City, State
luttrell tennessee
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 ford ranger 4.0 4x4
i just bought me a other pick up truck and it's a 1984 toyota pickup 2wd with a 22r engine in it. well i think the time is off on it or something. because it's getting fire and fuel and every thing but it still ain't starting.wel i took the vavle cover off and the timing chain it turning like it should. but when i take and line the mark up on the fly wheel the one on the cam gear is off about an 1/2 inch or so. so is it out of time and how do i take and put it back in time like it should be? any help we be really greatfull

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i remember there was a guy in here he lives in fremont and he knows a lot bout toyotas he also drives one as well. i forgot his username in here though. if i remember i will be sure to post his name up

oh ok thanks i know i tried every thing i can think of and nothing is happening yet to get it to start up so i might have to get some one to rebuild the motor for me or something but i'm goin to try untill i run out of ideals first lol

Sounds like it's time to get a Chilton or Haynes manual... They help with troubleshooting and fixing the problem.

i got one and i'm trying every thing in the book untill i run out of stuff in the book to do to my truck if i can't get it goin i'll have to rebuild it

ok here's the up date on my toyota pickup i took and tore the motor down friday and found out that i need a new head and gaskets for it some one already took and rebuilt it and they didn't seal the head like they should have done and it blowed the head gasket well when it started to run hot they kept on driven and that messed the head up so now i have to get a new head and get it checked and shaved about 2/1000 of an inch where it will get a whole lot more horse power and make it get a lot more compression but it looks like the rebuilt every in the motor inclulding the the timing chain and every thing and they also put a header on it too so i don't have to buy one of them now lol but give me time and i'll have it running in no time

dose anyone else got any ideas about getting more horse power or anything

What kind of increase are you looking for? I'm sure the engine will respond well to anything from a good free flowing exhaust, to a turbocharger... All depends on what you want to spend.

well i was thinking about putting a flowmaster and a turbo and headers on it. and i think thats all i can do to it exsept rebuild it with alot of high preformence parts or something.but i'm not looking to get to much of power out of it since its a little 4 bagger truck. but i'm looking to spend enuff to make it have the pulling power as my other one i had. but thats my main goal for it to have the pulling power as my other truck had.

There is a lot of different things you can do to increase power. It all depends on how much $ you want to spend. Check http://www.lcengineering.com/ to see whats available. As for free or cheap power upgrades, there isn't a whole lot. One recomendation, while you have it apart, replace the timing chain and guides (get all metal guides, not the nylon ones).

I was hoping mrboyle would tune in. I don't remember exactly but I think you can swap a 20r head on to a 22r and boost the compression. Don't quote me on that. BTW LC makes some sweet engines if money is not an object :D

oh ok i'll ceck in on them and see what i can do about getting one for my truck

Yes you can swap a 20r head onto a 22r and boost the compression, but you have to have the intake and exahust manifolds from the 20r since they are different than the 22r. You will also need to switch to an electric fuel pump as every 20r head I've seen lately does not have the boss for a mechanical pump cast into it.

oh i c i might do that to this new motor i'm getting for 50.00 bucks this guy needs it out of his way and it a 22r and while i'm taking and rebuilding it i'll go to pull a part and get the head and the intake and stuff and i got an 12 volt feul pump thats goes on any truck to go on it and afther i get the head i'll take and make sure it's a good one afther that have it shaved too and then i'm set for my spare motor

I have an 86 with a 22RE (fuel injected), I went to engnbldr.com and got one of his cams a 268C. I then did a simple homemade CAI with 3" plastic pipe, then went to 2.5" exhaust to a flowmaster 40 muffler. That REALLY woke my motor up! Bu you are carbed so all you gotta do is look at bigger carb (webber) also you can go with one of his beefier cams than I can.
engnblder aka. Tod is really good to deal with, he answered emails promptly and helped me with every concern. The thing with doing a 20R head swap is to make sure you have the right block. To find more info on what block to use I would go over to toyotanation.com or toyotaminis.com and ask there. Because at or neat 84 they went to a "Z" block which is not compatible with the 20R head.
If you do have the "Z" block engnbldr has heads that are ported and oversized valves with dimpled combustion chamber (I am saving money for one, but keep spending it on my exploder, lol!).

After posting I read the date of the last post...sorry guys

Its all still good info. The biggest problem with the 20r head swap (other than the block change you mentioned) is that just swapping the head over does little to nothing for performance. The reason the 20r head is more desireable is that it has a better port design that has responds to modifications better than the 22r. To get the full potential of the 20r head you still need to install larger valves and do port work. As for http://www.engnbldr.com/ you can't beat his prices anywhere. Eaven as a mechanic, his prices beat my cost on Toyota engine parts.

Back