• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Does anybody knows the cost of the labor to replace a front transfer case on a 05 Mountaineer?

KelS4

Reaction score
City, State
NYC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Mercury Mountaineer
Hi guys, my awd keeps getting lock due to the front transfer case being broken. I am planning on getting a used one but don't know how much it would be to replace it. Have anyone done it before or know the cost?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

RangerX

Elite Ranger
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Omao, Kauai
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Ranger XLT 4X4
The transfer case is in the middle of the vehicle, do you mean front axle?

imp

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
59 Ranchero F250 D'Line
Hi guys, my awd keeps getting lock due to the front transfer case being broken. I am planning on getting a used one but don't know how much it would be to replace it. Have anyone done it before or know the cost?
No point in considering cost to replace the front transfer case or getting a used one until we determine just exactly what the hell we are talking about. FWIW, I replaced my rear transfer case for only $5.00. imp

07gtman

Reaction score
City, State
Chicago IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Mountaineer 4.6 AWD
make sure your front and rear tires are the same size.also may not be the transfer case.need more info[/QUOTE]

Last edited by a moderator:

KelS4

Reaction score
City, State
NYC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Mercury Mountaineer
The mechanic told me it is the transfer case. It was my own fault cause i replaced the front tires first instead of all of them at the same time. Now driving in the snow my awd keeps going on lock and the truck is not gripping when that happens.