Does anyone else have the rear liftgate "rattle"??? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Does anyone else have the rear liftgate "rattle"???

Cobra Jet

Reaction score
City, State
Southern, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 XLS
(I did search "rattle" and "hatch rattle" but did not get any good hits)

Just wondering if there is a "fix" for the 2002-2005 Ford Explorer rear lifgate "rattle"?? It's annoying to say the least and I can't seem to figure out where it's coming from or what is causing it...

My father's 03 Explorer has the same rattle and every now and then on our 04 the same occurs with our rear liftgate... His has over 100k on it, while ours only has 24k. Ours never rattled before, but all of the sudden over the last couple of weeks, it started doing it.

The sound is like a plastic rattling noise somewhere at or within the rear liftgate. We've checked to make sure the glass hatch is closed properly and tight as well as the actual whole rear door assembly. It's definitely something w/ the rear liftgate...

How many of you have the same rattling going on?

What was your fix (if you fixed it)?

Was/is there a Ford recall or something about this annoying issue?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've never had that... Is the sound coming from inside the hatch? I've never heard that sound before... Any kids dropping coins or toys in the opening by the window? Are the tail lamp screws tight?

Yup, had the rattle... annoying as hell! :mad:

It's the plastic cover on the liftgate, right at the edge of it, close to the handle, hitting the metal. My fix was to fold a couple of napkins and insert them between the plastic cover and the metal of the liftgate. No more rattle! :D

I loked for screws or clips to tighten, but there are none. Maybe I should find a piece of rubber or foam to replace the napkins... :rolleyes:

Just get self stick felt or foam pads from wal-mart's hardware section and stick them on the metal along the place where the plastic contacts the tailgate!! I did that and it works.....cheap too!!!;)

Just get self stick felt or foam pads from wal-mart's hardware section and stick them on the metal along the place where the plastic contacts the tailgate!! I did that and it works.....cheap too!!!;)

At the handle where you'd lift the glass? I've heard that rattle too, but I always thought it was the rear license plate having only the top 2 screws it in... I'll have to check this out!:D

At the handle where you'd lift the glass? I've heard that rattle too, but I always thought it was the rear license plate having only the top 2 screws it in... I'll have to check this out!:D

Yeah I have the rattle too. I was also wondering if it was where you would lift the glass or the the whole liftgate. Does anybody have a picture that they could point out where the problem is?

*turns up the radio louder* << Easy fix, takes little to no effort and its free.:D

Its a truck, it should make squeaks and rattles, thats what trucks do :)

I got that rattle...

i also have front window rattle too, as well as some vibration in the dashboard.

I also use the free fix of turning up the radio... People should realize the Audiophile sound system is a very handy quick fix option :D.

i had a sort of rattle too, but on a bit older Ex, it was the rear plastic , i just pulled it out a little bit and got some stick on velcro pads from walmart, i used the fuzzy parts, and put them in the place it was rattling,, it was gone, and didn't come back,,

Yeah I have the rattle too. I was also wondering if it was where you would lift the glass or the the whole liftgate. Does anybody have a picture that they could point out where the problem is?

Does anyone have a picture of the where they squeezed in some velcro or other cushion for this? If it's where I'm thinking, it seems pretty tight there and not sure I'd be able to get anything in there to eliminate the rattle, which now makes me doubt if that's even where the rattle is comine from!

Pics would be appreciated to anyone that has done this...

Discovered the rattle a couple of years ago. It's that piece of plastic on the inside of the lower rear glass window. 6-8 pieces of peel/stick felt will cure it. You may also want to look at the rear floor access panel/s (where the lugnut wrench is) also, as a couple of peel/stick felt on the bottom sides of that may cure a rattle also. I also have slightly snuged up the rear tailgate latch adjustment.

Just a thought, you may want to check if your spare tire is cranked up all the way tight, but first lower it and check the tire pressure.

Here are some pictures. I hope you like my elegant solution... ;)

Photo-0003.jpg

Photo-0005.jpg

Photo-0006.jpg

your auto shop sells "L" shaped foam that works perfect. i believe they are for window bumpers. the just a cushion to the window when you roll it all the way down on some cars

That rattle is driving my crazy. Thanks GLGLee for the tip and the link to Home Depot, I'll be heading there soon anyway. I did figure it was most likely that piece of trim and I didn't want to use duct tape -- my vehicle still looks too new for that.
Edit add -- I noticed my local Depot does not carry it in stock, but it seems Amazon.com does.
https://www.amazon.com/M-D-Building...+Weatherstrip&qid=1562389504&s=gateway&sr=8-1

You're quite welcome. I didn't remove the piece before applying the weatherstrip, mine was loose enough that all I had to do is pull sections away from the body just enough to apply the weatherstrip. The backing on the weatherstrip is super sticky but pliable enough to pull away and reapply if you get off track.
Note: I included the pictures showing the clip points in case anyone wants to remove the piece.

Back