does anyone ever put there spare on? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

does anyone ever put there spare on?

KobeJ05

Reaction score
City, State
Marina, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 explorer 157k miles
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

does anyone ever put there spare tire on to keep it sealed around the rim? sometimes it just goes flat just sitting there.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

but do you ever put it on the car just to get it rotated?

I took mine off the Explorer after the spare fell off the F350 doing about 80 heading back from WI.

got loose?

Cable broke, common ford failure. Bad part was someone stopped and grabbed it before we got turned around and went back for it. Not cheap to replace on that truck.

good thing there was no cars behind you :)

I check the air on my spare about every 6 months or so to a once a year. Mines on the roof so I don't have to crawl under the truck, just stand in an open door on the truck.

When I get a screw/nail/screwdriver etc into one of the tires on the X I have found its easier/quicker to just throw a plug in it and fill it up than it is to wrestle the spare off the roof and put the flat one back on the roof.

~Mark

Come to think of it, no I haven't and today is a good time to drop it and check it. Thanks for the heads up :thumbsup:

I have dropped it in the past couple years but only to see how it works and never checked the tire out, and again, thank you for the heads up. We all should do this as a safety measure.

im thinking of putting it on for a day. its a brand new tire. weatherised tire. they must of put that when i had my previous tires on there cause its the same one. this is my spare
010lj.jpg
014r.jpg

Glad you posted this about the spare. I am going to drop mine and inspect. I still have the Firestone spare, the one traded in on the recall. But the cable issue worries me after seeing that rust in the picture above.

I pulled my stock spare out when I lifted my Ex... It just sat around the shop. Then the other day I needed to put it on a parts truck to move it around the yard... and SURPRISE... it won't fit on the front. The centre hole isn't big enough to go over the Auto Hubs... kinda surprised me. I don't know if someone swapped out the spare at some time or what the deal is, but it only slides over the hubs a couple inches then stops... weird.

im thinking of putting it on for a day. its a brand new tire. weatherised tire. they must of put that when i had my previous tires on there cause its the same one. this is my spare
010lj.jpg
014r.jpg

How old is that spare? I know it hasn't been in the sun, but its still treaded to road grime, ozone, heat and other things they dont' exactly like. If its really old (say 10 years) I could be an emergency spare but personally I'd replace it something newer.

If you have another rim that matches what is on the truck you just add the spare to the tire rotation so all 5 get worn the same and you can go longer between buying sets of tires.

~Mark

I need to replace mine, even if I have to use it, I wouldn't trust a 13 year old tire that's never been on the truck. It looks hideous. :)

I think I might pick up a spare rim this weekend at the j/y- 1/2 off sale for the holiday... :)

I needed mine for the first time Christmas Day. I have a Plug Kit but I hit something and the tire was down in no time.
Fortuantely I had it down a few days before when I did My rear Brake line and Soft line to the axle. At that time, I filled it and had to smack the holder off the rim. Glad I did because I don't think I could have gotten the Spare off the Holder that night if I didn't do it a few days before.
When I put the spare back up, I used some bearing Grease on the Holder.
Recently I pulled it down again, Sanded it and Painted it White. It was very tough to see Christmas night. A white Rim would have helped me find my way around a bit.
P.S. I think it's the origianl tire from '91

Never had any issues with the cable other than it needing to be yanked on while you're trying to lower it.

I used my spare for a day over the Memorial Day weekend. Had a screw in a tire with a slow leak. It got low enough to bust the bead lose. The spare worked OK until I could get the other fixed.

I swapped out the original Firestone Radial ATX spare for a Michelin LTX M/S for a few bucks when the recall happened. Never really used it much, but it came in handy one time when the wheel got booted (campus security ignored a temporary permit) and there wasn't any other quick way to get it off, so I changed the wheel/tire out.

Using a spare in a 5-tire rotation is a good idea, and will certainly make a set of tires last a little bit longer, but that's mainly something you do with steel wheels and hubcaps. Explorers, like a lot of other vehicles with most having alloy wheels, and a steel for the spare, aren't really intended to have the spare rotated in with rest of the tires.

As for those cable problems, keeping the cable well greased up keeps it from ever getting so rusty it snaps.

spare tire date

im not sure on the date of the tire but i think it says 2000.
sparetire.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

5000 would mean the 50th week of the year 2000.

025407 would be the 2nd day of the 54th week of 07, but since there are only 52.177457 weeks in a year, I would guess that's not the date code, or it was made during an extremely long year, or on some other kind of calendar.

Back