Does anyone have trouble with body rust? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Does anyone have trouble with body rust?

wincityexplorer

Reaction score
City, State
winchester kentucky
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 explorer xlt
i have body rust on the rear rocker pannels it has eaten away all the pannel away any ideAS

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

welcome

It is pretty common for explorers (along with most other trucks) to have cancer in the dog legs.

yaw think it is a good idea to lift it an small block an explorer:exporange

Yeah above my rear wheels right under where the back door closes on both sides I have rust...I just watch it to make sure it doesn't get to bad.

I havn't seen an explorer older than 1997 that don't have rust on it where i'm from. I found a piece of junk steel, bent it, welded it to the EX, and painted it black. the ex is a very dark blue metallic so the black blends in very well.

Most that I see as well are also rusted around the gas tank filler door.

i have body rust on the rear rocker pannels it has eaten away all the pannel away any ideAS

I live in Westren Pa. and road salt is the only thing they put down in the winter. There for I have NO rockers. just the expandind foam I shot in the rocker 3 yrs ago, dricers side around the fule door is rotted away the only thing I feel that is holding the door in place is the filler neck. other than that I have no other rust.

oh as well it rusted right through the floor pan behind the rear passenger side wheel well. I found this when I took out the factory amp and sub. for months i wondered why my cargo area was soaked every time i went muddin.

oh as well it rusted right through the floor pan behind the rear passenger side wheel well. I found this when I took out the factory amp and sub. for months i wondered why my cargo area was soaked every time i went muddin.

That just sucks lol I had that happen on my old buick i used to drive, rust ate right to the trunk any time it rain my cars trunk was soaked and my back seats were too.

im just starting to repair the rust right now, i just finished the front passenger side panel, sanded it all down, shaved the antena, and repainted, its mint now, starting to sand the rigth side rocker, 2 very small holes, very little rust, but im sanding it all down anyways, condo the bad spots and repainting, prolly rhino line it too., just working my way around the truck slowly. better to get it before its to late :p

rust yeah

I have

- a round spot about 3" in diameter smack in the middle of the car, drivers side. Not a hole.

- a strip of rust around the gas tank. a long skinny hole, all the way through.

- usual rust along the bottom black panels, but there's enough of the metal left to bondo it up

I ground as much rust off as I could; the first two spots pretty much ground completely rust free; on the bottom I am using both the grinder and the rust converter gel; we'll see how that holds up.

I have most of these all prepped right now; the paint should show up in the mail any day.

The bumber is rusty too. Going to grind that tonight.

Rusted Dog Legs are very typical. Places sell replacement Doglegs. Cut and weld.. you need to know what you are doing.. Did mine a year or so ago.

Hmm, mine doesn't have any rust at all, body, undercarriage, nothin'. And I live about 50 miles from the Gulf.

Probably helps that it was garage kept for most of its life. To bad I have to destroy that tradition, but my garage is full of stuff. :(

Maybe its hard finding parts here in spain..

But rust is not an issue on cars here. Unless theyre from the coasts. But generally, no cars ever rust here.. I have no rust on my x whatsoever. And. A garage is not something you have when living in the city. Lucky me!..:D

That's one thing I love about living up in north Texas. You will never ever get a single spot of rust on any car, even if its stored outside. You can see 15+ year old trucks running all around the metroplex without a single spot of rust.

Back