Does anyone know anything about '97 Mountaineer speakers? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Does anyone know anything about '97 Mountaineer speakers?

lizbby

Reaction score
City, State
Woodstock, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Mountaineer
My sister took my 1997 Mercury Moutaineer to have new speakers installed at both Best Buy and HiFi Buys and they told her that Mercury has a piece that only Mercury or Ford can take off so I can only install new speakers through them. Does anyone know if that's true? Or know how to take the piece off without damaging the car? Something?
:feedback:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

sounds like bs to me. I have a 98 ex sport and a 98 mounty. I have had speakers out of both and have never seen anything wierd or "special". I'd try somewhere else if your not capable.

Help with '97 Mountaineer Speakers Pleaseee:)

My sister took my 1997 Mercury Moutaineer to have new speakers installed at both Best Buy and HiFi Buys and they told her that Mercury has a piece that only Mercury or Ford can take off so I can only install new speakers through them. Does anyone know if that's true? Or know how to take the piece off without damaging the car? Something?
:feedback:

Complete BS! All you need is a panel tool (available at any parts store for about $10) a phillips screw driver & a 1/4 drive ratchet with 6 or 8mm socket. (Can't remember which)

The only thing special is the factory connection on the speaker.

i'm not capable. i know nothing about cars. all i know is my speakers sound like **** & i want new ones. where else could i take it besides best buy & hifi buys?

I'm pretty sure that's not true. I'd say about 50% of the people on this forum have changed their stock speakers out for better ones or for straight stock replacements. Do you know what piece they are referring to?

look for smaller, but reputable shops in your area. Try lookin thru the yellow pages or google it. Any good shop will have pics of their work.

nope, i have noo idea what piece they were talking about

Welcome to this forum! Any stereo & alarm installation shop should be capable of installing speakers. The guys in the junk yards know how to remove just about everything. Buy speakers in an auto parts store, and go to one of these guys after work. I'm sure if you would give them a few dollars it wouldn't take them too much time to do it for you.

Wow- what a crappy shops! It's a couple of screws and pull the panel off- they're held in by Christmas tree clips! I'm sure they looked at the grilles and said "well that's not possible..." and that was that. At the very least- ff you have a phillips screwdriver and a small socket set to remove the bolts holding the speakers in, you can do it. Order them from Crutchfield and they will send you the instructions and the harnesses too so you don't have to cut your factory ones.

That's such crap. Even if the connection for the wiring is different, you can cut and crimp it. I got the connections they say ford/mercury uses for speakers from crutchfield, but didn't need them. You can have them for shipping if you want...

But they probably don't want to deal with the 6x8/5x7 speaker sizes

thats complete BS
but you could basically buy yur speakers and have a enighbor or HS kidd in yur area do it for you, its easy i did mine my self.
the sizes are 6 x 8 and 3" deep
and 6 x 8 and 2.5" deep...i coudlnt find those so i got 5x7 alpine type r's...their AMAZING

At least you're using the Search feature.

Braiiiiiiinnnnnnsssss. :D

Torx size for subwoofer removal on 97 ford explorer

if you don't know where to go in your town, you can always have an hvac guy do it. 90% of our job is electrical work. hvac is heating and air conditioning btw.

my truck is wired out the wazoo, all speakers and sub replaced with a real one. dvd and monitors. it's not hard. special tools my a..

buy your speakers from crutchfield like stated above! they do send Vehicle Specific instructions! all you need is a philips head screw driver, and if you have manual windows the crank is held on with a torx bit. save your self some money and do it your self... each speaker has only 2 wires.... a + and a- pretty simple and there is plenty of help here on EF...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back