does anyone know anything about mounting the eaton supercharger from a thunder bird,, | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

does anyone know anything about mounting the eaton supercharger from a thunder bird,,

Isaac

Reaction score
City, State
Williamsport PA.
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 XLT 4X4
anyone know about a kit avalible to mount the supercharger from a thunderbird supercoupe 3.8 liter v6 (eaton blower) to a 4.0 liter? someone told me that summit has a kit to do this? i havnt called them yet but didnt come up with anything online,, anyone have any info on this? Thanx!
Isaac

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Its been discussed here before... Too much of a hassle and not worth it.....

thanx,,

thanx for the info but,, hassle or not im still looking for info to do it.....
is there in deed a kit avalible to mount it?

why not just get the 4.0 blower from EE?

im sorry i must not have been clear,,

im looking for info on mounting the eaton unit (the m90) to a 4.0 liter.
this is in regards to a custom deal here.
thanx any if "anyone with info on this" is out there , i would be very thankfull.
Thanx

dont quote me on this, but i believe you have been mis-informed. from what i remember, Doug094 (i think) was talking about this in another thread a while back. the Summit kit is not really a kit. you still have to have a machine shop make you an adaptor to mount the charger on the 4 liter intake. you also have to get them to make you an adaptor from the unit to the throttle body. from what he said, unless you actually work at a machine shop, you will wind up spending the same $$$ as if you purchased a new blower specifically for the 4.0.

They're right.

It is definately not a bolt-on affair and there are no kits to adapt that unit to the Explorer. The kits that Summit has are full kits that include the supercharger, intake, computer, the works. The BBK Eaton kit ends up being about $2800 just for parts.

Unless you work at or have access to a good machine shop, you can't just take any Eaton unit and bolt it on.

thanx for responding you guys

thanx for the help you guys,, and i do have my own shop,, i will be doing all work myself, and machine shop avalible.
thanx for the info,
are there any other parts out there that have been found to work? pullys,, serpentine belts,,, part numbers,, looking for an and ALL info to do this.
Thanx everyone!.

Same Question

If you guys run into parts numbers and or suggestions on this m90 project,I would love some input I plan on doing the same install.Doug904 posted something about it on my post on 4.0 ohv vs.4.0sohc but he hasnt got back to me on what kind of mods had to be made to make it work.
hotrodn439@aol.com

eaton supercharger

I own a Tbird Supercoupe and i do know that there are alot of differences between a regular 3.8 and one in a Supercharged Tbird, but anything can be done. check out this link it lists the differences in the motors and you can get alot of info in the rest of the site.

http://www.sccoa.com/articles/everwonder.php

I POSTED A REPLY ABOUT THE DIFFERENCES IN THE N/A/ 3.8 ANS THE SC ONE. IF YOUR STILL INTERESTED IN DOING THIS I BOUGHT A MOTOR TO REBUILD AND PUT INTO A 90 5SPD I HAVE, AND I HAVE ABOUT 99% OF THE THINGS YOU WOULD NEED. INTAKE MANIFOLD, BOTH PLENUMS,BOTH IC TUBES, IC, TB,AIRBOX,MAF, WIRING HARNESS WITH A EEC FOR A SUPERCHARGED ENGINE, JACKSHAFT PULLEY, ETC. EMAIL ME AT TINNER105@SOCAL.RR.COM
NOT LOOKING TO GOUGE ANYBODY EITHER
THANKS
TONY

If doing a custom application, to make it work while, you will either need to use a Twin Screw compressor (ie Kenne Bell or Whipple) or integrate an intercooler into the system. Otherwise you will be limited to 6-7PSI boost unless you reduce your compression ratio with custom pistons. The eaton roots style compressor heats the intake charge too much, that past 6-7PSI, you will start to detonate.

Just my $0.02

tinner,,

the subject of this thread was to "mount a m-90 on a 4.0", not a 3.8.

That post was most helpful on this install

Hey im glad you posted that info it filled in a lot of question on how to's.But any info on that custom intake peice such as blue prints place to buy one or phone number to place that made that one?!!
My 4.0 in my bronco2 is running great but it seems to want this supercharger:)

Back