Does anyone know how to add a custom PID in the car scanner app? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Does anyone know how to add a custom PID in the car scanner app?

DFIG

Reaction score
City, State
Seoul
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer 2.3 Limited
hello.
I have a 2017 Explorer 2.3 Limited.

I want to monitor the engine oil temperature, tire air pressure, torque converter slip, and battery charge through the 'Car scanner' app.
I think I need to add a custom PID, but I don't know the PID value and I don't know how to add it.

When Bronco 2021 was selected in the OBD profile of the 'Car scanner' app, it was confirmed that the tire pressure and battery charge were monitored, and the torque converter slip was also monitored in the 'forscan (wnidows version)' program.

I'm sure that if you add a custom PID value, you will be able to monitor the above values in the 'Car scanner' app.
Does anyone know how?

I am not American, so I wrote the article through Google Translate.
Please understand even if it is awkward.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

what is the name of the app? i dont recall an app called car scanner. can you send a screenshot of the app?

unfortunately i havent worked w/ that app. ibwould however siggest looking into forscan lite if you use android
thank you for the reply.
I'm going to test it with the Foscan Lite demo version, and if it works well, I'm going to buy a license.

thank you for the reply.
I'm going to test it with the Foscan Lite demo version, and if it works well, I'm going to buy a license.
for scan lite works on mobile such as android and ios. however, if you have a windows laptop, id download it on there, much more functionality on laptop, and you can get the extended license for free in 2mo increments. more power on laptop imo

안녕하세요!

2017 Ford Explorer 2.3의 SOC(충전 상태) 값을 모니터링하는 방법이 있습니까?
아무리 검색하고 시도해도 배터리의 상태 값이 모니터링되지 않습니다. 😢

Forcan, Torque pro 또는 자동차 스캐너 앱으로 모니터링하는 방법만 알면 됩니다.

==============================
(I'm sorry. I thought it was translated into English, but it wasn't..)

hello!

Is there a way to monitor the SOC (State of Charge) value of a 2017 Ford Explorer 2.3?
No matter how much I search and try, the health value of the battery is not monitored. 😢

I just need to know how to monitor with Torque pro or 'Car Scanner' app

I don't see much Korean in this forum so I have translated:
DFIG said:
hello!

Is there a way to monitor the SOC (State of Charge) value of a 2017 Ford Explorer 2.3?
No matter how much I search and try, the health value of the battery is not monitored. 😢
You just need to know how to monitor with Forcan, Torque pro or car scanner app.

I don't know the answer.

There is no way to monitor the state of charge without using some aftermarket feature.

애프터마켓 기능을 사용하지 않고는 충전 상태를 모니터링할 방법이 없습니다.

Peter

for scan lite works on mobile such as android and ios. however, if you have a windows laptop, id download it on there, much more functionality on laptop, and you can get the extended license for free in 2mo increments. more power on laptop imo
Thanks again for your reply!

The Windows version of Foscan is already licensed and in use. I checked the SOC(State Of Charge) value in the Windows version of Forscan, and I'm looking for a way to see this value in other apps as well. Unfortunately, since I am using a paid app called 'Car Scanner', I want to additionally monitor the SOC value in the 'Car Scanner' app.

Please refer to the attached image for the screen of the app I am using.(Most of the items have been changed to Korean.)

20230304_113358.jpg

There is no way to monitor the state of charge without using some aftermarket feature.

애프터마켓 기능을 사용하지 않고는 충전 상태를 모니터링할 방법이 없습니다.

Peter
Thank you for answer! I am already monitoring many figures through an app called 'Car Scanner'. I would like to additionally monitor the SOC value in this app, but there is no SOC in the default sensor items. So I am looking for a way to add SOC PID in this app.

Please check the attached image for the screen of the app I am using.
(Please understand that most of the items being monitored are in Korean.)

20230304_113358.jpg

This seems like something that the Car Scanner app developer would have to add to the app, then you just select SOC from the menu once the developer has added it.

Forscan app should be able to do this using the Battery SOC PID in the menu BCM category.

dtate of charge? like voltage?

This seems like something that the Car Scanner app developer would have to add to the app, then you just select SOC from the menu once the developer has added it.

Forscan app should be able to do this using the Battery SOC PID in the menu BCM category.
thank you for the reply.
I know that the 'SOC' value is monitored with the Forscan program. However, the screen composition of the Forscan app is not free and the design is not my style, so I want to monitor the SOC value with another app.

What I want to know is the SOC PID value of the 2017 Ford Explorer.

(This article was written through Google Translate, so the sentences may be a little awkward. Please understand.)

hmmmm i havent looked at that yet, in any app. will do some digging to see what is supported

I looked around and cannot find the SOC PID value (PID address).

You can hookup a multimeter on your battery terminals to measure the parasitic draw which should give you an idea of how the well the electric system is operating. The steps to do this are better documented on YouTube.

You should be able to monitor the battery voltage at the OBD2 adapter and at the ECU without needing a PID

^ That's better than nothing but won't provide a reliable SOC. Until the output of the alternator (per the RPM) is exceeded, it will raise voltage more on a battery that is more drained, and this charging is dynamic through the BMS, so the charging
state will change based on driving conditions.

Engine off is a different story, can approximate % of possible charge (but not health of battery, remaining capacity) from the voltage, but considering DFIG appears to want to do this in realtime with a tablet, it seems more like a while-driving monitoring that is wanted.

I wonder if it's worth the bother. The BMS already warns the driver if battery SOC or other operating parameters are questionable. Heh, even the less sophisticated BMS on my '14 Explorer, gave a warning back in November and the vehicle has had no problems starting and running all winter till now, with the message not reoccuring. It had merely sat for about a week in November so had self discharged more than normal.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

hmmmm i havent looked at that yet, in any app. will do some digging to see what is supported
If I change the connection profile to 'Bronco 2021' in the Car Scanner app, the SOC value is monitored.
Therefore, it is expected that the SOC value can be monitored by entering additional PIDs in the 'Ford OBD-II / EOBD + CAN and Extra PIDs' profile.

20230306_202048.jpg

Back