Does anyone know what this is? Ford Explorer 4x4 V6 4.0L Transmission issue | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Does anyone know what this is? Ford Explorer 4x4 V6 4.0L Transmission issue

AmericanAlien

Reaction score
City, State
The South
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 V6 4.0L
I have used this site for awhile, and finally needed to make an account to ask for help (usually you already have the answer!) I have this transmission problem on my Explorer. It has been great until I had an O/D light come on while driving (It came on sporadically, and even stayed off for a month). When I took it in to a "transmission" shop, they said I needed a new transmission. I said I didn't have the cash for that, and they gave me some hoopla on they could make it last longer, well, when I got i back from them, it started SLIPPING. It NEVER slipped before, even with the light on. Well, I go under my Explorer and find that he didn't even TIGHTEN my transmission pan, and it leaked EVERYWHERE. No wonder it was slipping. So I tighten EVERY bolt and and it drives ok for awhile, and then yesterday it started slipping again. Well I go back under and find another leak, but from an area I have never seen before. I am not going to pretend I know a lot about Transmission, cuz I don't. However, I could find what this part of the powertrain was. Not online at least. So I am asking you guys, the experts on what the below pics are. The first pic, you will see an arrow pointing to the black plastic cover of the area I have no clue about, the second pic is with the black plastic cover off. What is this? A line that is supposed to be connected? I do not see it in the haynes repair manual, and this is where the transmission fluid is leaking out off! The black hose part is just a hollow tube. Is this supposed to be capped off? Connected to something? I am so frustrated. Any help would be AWESOME.

transmissionpta.jpg

TransmissionPT.jpg

I just do not have a clue of what this is, and why it is leaking. I think it has to be connected to something, but what do I know? I cannot even find what this is called. Is it supposed to leak Fluid? LOL, probably not, but I have been surprised before. I thank you in advanced for any help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What year is the explorer and is it a 4X4? Looks like the vent on the transfer case, which wouldn't effect the transmission.

If it's a vent it should Not be leaking fluid.

if it is a vent it will leak if the trans or t case is overfilled,,,

okay i crawled under my 1996 with auto trans and cannot find that thing,,

give me a better location idea so i can see where that is on mine , like drivers or passenger side, trans or t case,,???

Thanks for the replies guys.

Corkey, this is located more on the drivers side of the car, right on the other side of the transfer case where you can drain the fluid. So it is basically opposite of the drain plug. It is pointing to the drivers side as well. I hope this helps. I have looked up vent for transfer case, but they show a long hose attachment, mine is attached to nothing except a short L-shaped hollow tube.

up until about 10 minutes ago, my vent tube looked like this, , which i guess is stock,

it's about 6-7 inches long ,
so i would say that is what it should look like,,,
go to a junkyard and get one,,,

now i have a hose that goes up to the cowl by the engine for water crossings,,

Attachments

• t case vent.jpg
    t case vent.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 1,263

Corkey,

Mucho thanks. Mine does NOT look like that. Is this why I have tranny fluid leaking? Also, is this capped off? Or is this just a long tube? What is the purpose of this tube? I am obviously missing that long part that goes into the L-shaped tube. Thanks for your help. I am glad I get to see what it is SUPPOSED to look like.

Corkey, one other thing, does that black L-shaped tube on your Explorer come off easily? Or is it on their tightly? Sorry to keep bugging. Again, thanks for all your help!

It has a vent dealio on top of the tube, so it is not just open at the end,,

i took mine off and it came off fairly easily, it is just a rubber elbow but maybe it should have been a bit tougher to get off , but it has no pressure behind it so, no biggie i would say,,

If there is no pressure, why is it leaking? Should it be leaking at all? Can I leave it how it is, or should I just get the rest of that part to put back on? Is this causing my tranny to slip, or should I be looking at other areas?

it is leaking caused it is too full, go the junkyard and get the pipe call it good,,
as for the trans slipping look elsewhere as this is on the transfer case,not transmission,,

See that doesn't make sense to me, because I didn't overfill it. When it leaked dry I put a quart in and some leak protectant (1 bottle). It shouldn't even be 3/4 let alone overly full. This isn't making any sense. Could it just be leaking? If it is missing that part, wouldn't it just leak and lose pressure?

the easiest way is take out the other plug by the rear driveshaft, that is how full it is supposed to be, just to the bottom of that plug hole,,

Thanks corkey...I will do that...one more thing.....hopefully last. What specifically does the vent do? What is its main purpose?

just lets excess heat pressure out of the t-case, barely above atmospheric,,

I believe you are missing the point, the trans and transfer case are 2 different units, but bolted together. putting fluid in the trans has nothing to do with the oil in the transfer case, except if the seal between the 2 is bad.

I believe you are missing the point, the trans and transfer case are 2 different units, but bolted together. putting fluid in the trans has nothing to do with the oil in the transfer case, except if the seal between the 2 is bad.

PopRichie77,

The fluid coming out of the vent is Tranny fluid. Are you saying it is engine oil? What do you think it is then? I am going now to look at the level of the fluid in the plug on the other side. I will let you guys know if it is full or not.

The Transfer case is filled with trans fluid also. check the level and get the plastic tube and install like the picture, pointing upward.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Im just guessing here but if the seal between the trans and transfercase is leaking, wouldnt it leak fluid into the transfercase therefore overfilling it to the point of fluid comming out of the vent tube ?

Back