Does dealer use a head light aiming tool? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Does dealer use a head light aiming tool?

Stator

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer Sport Black
Curious as to how the dealer goes abut aiming head lights, do they use a specific aiming tool or do they use the old method of 25 back from a wall.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have been an industry professional for just alittle over 20 years.

and I have NEVER used a "headlight aimer"...
hell.....I cant even remember the last time I even aimed a headlight.

most anything built within the last 12 to 15 years does not have headlight
adjustment. they are mostly sealed units, that are simply bolted in.
with no adjustment....

so.....I would say, most dealers don't even have this "headlight aimer" machine
anymore, and haven't had it for a long time.

why are you asking..??? are you having headlight issues..???

:salute:

I have been an industry professional for just alittle over 20 years.

and I have NEVER used a "headlight aimer"...
hell.....I cant even remember the last time I even aimed a headlight.

most anything built within the last 12 to 15 years does not have headlight
adjustment. they are mostly sealed units, that are simply bolted in.
with no adjustment....

so.....I would say, most dealers don't even have this "headlight aimer" machine
anymore, and haven't had it for a long time.

why are you asking..??? are you having headlight issues..???

Um, my '04 F150 and my wife's '07 Camry both had/have adjustments...
Given that they're the 2 most sold cars on the road at their times, I would hesitate to say that "most don't have heaglight adjustment"

My manual states that my head lights do have aiming screws, need my head lights aimed so i thought I would take my 2014 sport into dealer to have aimed. Curious to know if they use a tool that's all.

My manual states that my head lights do have aiming screws, need my head lights aimed so i thought I would take my 2014 sport into dealer to have aimed. Curious to know if they use a tool that's all.
The headlights can only be adjusted vertically, not horizontally.
Do you still have the f-150? If not it might be a good idea to update your profile or also show that you have a 2014 Sport in your signature field.
All the headlights are aimed before they leave the factory. I have never had to adjust any headlights in my vehicles.

Peter

all adjustments are sealed inside the headlight housing. therefor,
there is no adjustment.

I guess you could, open the sealed unit, but most are melted or glued together.

I have not seen a headlight needing adjustment in a very long time.

in most cases, what they would do is warranty the unit, and replace it.

I don't see the dealer wasting anytime opening the unit to turn a screw.

also the ones that do have external screws, (there are some) have a level gauge right on the headlight, so its kinda no fail,

there is no adjustment.

also the ones that do have external screws, (there are some) have a level gauge right on the headlight, so its kinda no fail,

Might want to RTFM. Page 350 of the Owners Manual (3rd printing... Others may be different) discuses how and why to adjust the verticle aim on the headlamps. Horizontal is not adjustable though.

Even the self leveling, AFS (turned when the car turned) HIDs in my old '10 Mazda3 had a bit of adjustment to it... They had to fart around with the adjustment after replacing one of them because it was getting moisture in it and itbwas auto leveling way too low at first. A few turns on a screw and it bought it up some.

there is no adjustment.

Not true at all in the case of the 5th generation Explorer. As everyone else has pointed out on this thread, vertical adjustment can be done and has been done by some members.
Perhaps you should read the Owner's Guides, available online, and familiarize yourself with the 'New' Explorers before making such a 'blanket' statement.

Peter

Not true at all in the case of the 5th generation Explorer. As everyone else has pointed out on this thread, vertical adjustment can be done and has been done by some members.
Perhaps you should read the Owner's Guides, available online, and familiarize yourself with the 'New' Explorers before making such a 'blanket' statement.

Peter

Yep, and it's not just the new explorers either.
At least the last 2 generations of F150s and Camrys have headlight adjustments and do not have a level built in.
Might want to get up to date, tenny!

Update: dealer does have a tool that they use but the cost is $50 per head light. I went out last night around 9:30pm & found a nice level surface & followed the my owners manual to the T. I ended up lowering the driver side about 10mm, reason I had to lower is because I installed HIDs into the projector housing on my 2014 Sport wich came with halogens, bunch of people have done this with their Sports.

I appreciate the help guys! :D

BTW - Nice mods ieee raider! Have any pictures? I have done a full LED interior light swap, license plate LED swap, 6000k HIDs, shark fin antenna.

Some of us VW Jetta owners know the headlight adjustment thing well. A lot of them were not aligned properly out of the factory and the high beams were aiming up in the trees. They have high, low and horizontal adjustments.

You can see on their forums they go into some detail on how to adjust on your own so you don't have have to do to the dealer. http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=169800

My explorer seems a little high but for the most part pretty good alignment. It would appear they did a good job at the factory.

my apologies..i was wrong, there are still many autos with adjustment.

and also many that don't have adjustment.

I own 2 headlight adjusting tools and I haven't used either of mine. They are still in the package.. I just use a wall @ 25 ft (or something similar).

I'm sure its not the "right" way according to ford, or honda (vehicles I've adjusted the lights on) but it works well.. Can see at night on the 2 lane (in the boonies) and I'm not blinding others.

~Mark

there is no adjustment.

Then this is pure fiction?

Just to scratch the itch, can anyone name a car that doesn't have adjustable headlights?

I have never seen one, although I've owned mostly Ford products.

A.) All vehicles have a means of adjusting the headlight "aim" Some may be well hidden, but they are there. Ok, sure, maybe there is some exotic low-production vehicle that doesn't, but I'm talking about regular production, street legal "normal" cars here.

B.) Yep, "Tenny" I believe that you have never "had to" adjust headlights in your career, because people tend to be ill-informed, inconsiderate, lazy, selfish ****** bags. So, your customers never requested a headlight aiming, even if they should have; blissfully unaware of blinding other drivers. Of course, it sounds like you wouldn't know how to do it anyway, and would have sent them on their way, after mis-informing that it wasn't even possible. As for being "an industry professional", for any amount of time, let alone 20 years..... No, sir. You are no professional, not if you don't know such basic automotive facts. If you were just Joe Blow DIYer, such a mistake is forgivable, but if you hold yourself out to be a "professional" or expert, then you better be right, or expect to get called out on it.

c.) ANYTIME, the headlight housing is removed/re-installed, aim needs to be checked. Even a variation in the amount of torque applied to the mounting screws could change the aim. If the housing has been replaced (such as to repair crash damage);whether with used salvage parts, new OEM, or new aftermarket parts, then a professional aiming should be considered an absolute must. Ever been blinded by another vehicle, where one headlight is shining right in your face, but the other appears "normal" if a bit dimmer? Yep, that car has had a headlight housing replaced, and not aimed properly.

D.) To the OP, thanks for at least making the effort to care, especially with your "upgrade" to HID lights; but you still need to have them professionally aligned. I understand you may like them just fine the way they currently are, but what matters is whether or not you are blinding other drivers. Go to any decent body shop, rather the dealer. A good, professional body shop should have the right equipment to precisely aim your headlights according to the law.

E.) Am I bit "worked up" over this whole matter? YES! I am sick and tired of being blinded by other drivers at night. Between wanna-be mechanics installing their own e-bay special repair parts, and people who feel the need to install the equivalent of the sun in the front of their cars, I'm fed up. It makes traveling at night very unpleasant, and unsafe- not because there is anything wrong with my eye sight/night vision, but because it is being ruined by inconsiderate ass clowns and stupid punks with their "I'm so cool" blue "ICE" garbage- which I would LOOOVVVE to take baseball bat to every one of them.

I read in the manual that headlight position might need adjusting depending upon loads placed on the vehicle that might tend to either bring it nose up or nose down, along with what effect that will have on approaching cars.

A.) All vehicles have a means of adjusting the headlight "aim" Some may be well hidden, but they are there. Ok, sure, maybe there is some exotic low-production vehicle that doesn't, but I'm talking about regular production, street legal "normal" cars here.

B.) Yep, "Tenny" I believe that you have never "had to" adjust headlights in your career, because people tend to be ill-informed, inconsiderate, lazy, selfish ****** bags. So, your customers never requested a headlight aiming, even if they should have; blissfully unaware of blinding other drivers. Of course, it sounds like you wouldn't know how to do it anyway, and would have sent them on their way, after mis-informing that it wasn't even possible. As for being "an industry professional", for any amount of time, let alone 20 years..... No, sir. You are no professional, not if you don't know such basic automotive facts. If you were just Joe Blow DIYer, such a mistake is forgivable, but if you hold yourself out to be a "professional" or expert, then you better be right, or expect to get called out on it.

c.) ANYTIME, the headlight housing is removed/re-installed, aim needs to be checked. Even a variation in the amount of torque applied to the mounting screws could change the aim. If the housing has been replaced (such as to repair crash damage);whether with used salvage parts, new OEM, or new aftermarket parts, then a professional aiming should be considered an absolute must. Ever been blinded by another vehicle, where one headlight is shining right in your face, but the other appears "normal" if a bit dimmer? Yep, that car has had a headlight housing replaced, and not aimed properly.

D.) To the OP, thanks for at least making the effort to care, especially with your "upgrade" to HID lights; but you still need to have them professionally aligned. I understand you may like them just fine the way they currently are, but what matters is whether or not you are blinding other drivers. Go to any decent body shop, rather the dealer. A good, professional body shop should have the right equipment to precisely aim your headlights according to the law.

E.) Am I bit "worked up" over this whole matter? YES! I am sick and tired of being blinded by other drivers at night. Between wanna-be mechanics installing their own e-bay special repair parts, and people who feel the need to install the equivalent of the sun in the front of their cars, I'm fed up. It makes traveling at night very unpleasant, and unsafe- not because there is anything wrong with my eye sight/night vision, but because it is being ruined by inconsiderate ass clowns and stupid punks with their "I'm so cool" blue "ICE" garbage- which I would LOOOVVVE to take baseball bat to every one of them.

X2

I'm gonna bet Tenny is the mechanic at the Ford dealership in cartersville that said the headlights on my brothers ranger couldn't be adjusted. After being pointed out wrong... only 1 tech tried.... and failed.
I will say, it takes a special tool. Which is why I gave up and told him to take it somewhere

I read in the manual that headlight position might need adjusting depending upon loads placed on the vehicle that might tend to either bring it nose up or nose down, along with what effect that will have on approaching cars.
Not sure what might cause a 'nose down' situation but a heavy load in the back could potentially cause a 'nose up'. Unless you are carrying a lot of weight back there I don't think it will have much of an effect on the head lights. You would probably break the 3rd row seat backs by then. The head lamps can be adjusted vertically but not horizontally. The procedure I believe is in the manual. If pulling a heavily loaded trailer or the like and you are going to be travelling at night, you may want to check the head lamp aim before starting out.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just to add my two cents:
Headlights alignments are just like wheel alignments. They "should" be done every two years as maintenance. Things like removing to change bulbs, rocks hitting, birds hitting or people falling against them will leave them out of whack. Does everyone do a wheel alignment after two seasons of hitting pot holes? Probably not, and headlights are even more ignored.
I too have worked in this trade for awhile, and "most" vehicles have at least some way of adjusting the headlights. I also am very sick of being blinded by mis-aligned headlights or illegal HIDs in regular housings (yes, read for off-road use only on the box! Not only that, but the housings are only DOT approved when the specified bulb is used, not a high power/high voltage substitute) The only housings that should have HIDs in them are the factory projectors, because they have the proper type of reflectors to avoid blinding other people on the road (see BMW, new style F150/explorer or many others)

On the another note: most shops I have worked in, including a Ford Dealership, have some sort of headlight alignment setup/machine/tool. There are countless types/styles out there. The 25 ft marked wall is also an acceptable setup.

Sorry for the long winded rand about HIDs, but I HAAAAAATE how many people put them in and have no consideration about anyone else on the road. And those who have headlights mis-aligned are no better.

Back