does it worth to change the Thermostat & Spark-plugs for the livernois tuning device? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

does it worth to change the Thermostat & Spark-plugs for the livernois tuning device?

al3jeel

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer Sport 2018
Hi there

i just bought the ( AIW 2013 EXPLORER SPORT ECOBOOST MYCALIBR8OR TUNING DEVICE ) from http://www.livernoismotorsports.com/

and i am wondering , how does the performance will affect if i change also the Thermostat & Spark-plugs that was recommended by livernois motor sports when i bought the tuning device.

i just changed the stock spark plugs with 5 of the recommended pre-gabbed spark plugs ( since the 6th one was broken and waiting for the replacement to fix it )

and i didn't change the stock thermostat with the recommended 170o thermostat yet .

does it affect since my weather conditions are around 5 degree in winter and above 50 degrees in summer ?!

regards

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have the thermostat and think its worth it. I have used Reische thermostats before on multiple '04 Cobras. They worked well to help with heatsoak since they open/close way faster than the stock thermostat. With your yearly temps, i'm not sure if it will help much though.

If you don't feel comfortable gapping your own plugs then buy the pre-gapped ones. I bought the same exact ford motorcraft plugs(SP534) on rockauto for $30. I checked the gap on each one and they were set to 0.030 so no adjustment needed.

I spoke with Ford today and said to gap the SP534 at .049-.053

Why do you recommend .030? To prevent blowout?

Is .030 the recomended gap after a tune? I'm having a hard time finding the exact answer on this for some reason. I went with the Unleashed tune which is amazing and now I want to do the supporting mods with the tune. thanks

.030" is recommended for tuned and is fine with going back to stock also. To get the most out of the tune, go with the the correct gapped SP534 plugs changed every 30,000 and the thermostat upgrade, which is not a difficult job. The plugs were more of a pain than the thermostat.

Back