Does keeping a key FOB shielded drain the battery? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Does keeping a key FOB shielded drain the battery?

gary94080

Reaction score
City, State
South San Francisco, California
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer Limited FWD
I am frequently far from home so I keep the spare FOB in an RFID shielded bag in the car. I just put a second set of batteries into the one I keep in the car so I was wondering if that might be the reason.

I have a 2017 Limited.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If the fob is 100% shielded from the vehicle then there should be no drain on its battery. I find it strange though that you have had to replace the battery that often. My 2017 spare was kept in the house and I never had to replace the battery in it during the 3 years I had it.

Peter

that was my expectation as well. I may have just gotten a set of stale batteries.

I didn't record the date I put in the first set. I did this time. we'll see how long it lasts.

Does your explorer sit in the hot sun for long periods of time? Could be long term exposure to higher temperatures.

It may matter what brand of battery is used. I've tried a few batteries from dollar tree and had to replaced them after a few months. I had good luck with energizer and duracell.

the last set was Panasonic. the current set is Energizer.

I changed my battery once in the 8 years we had our 2011.

Does your explorer sit in the hot sun for long periods of time? Could be long term exposure to higher temperatures.

most of the time it is in my garage or a parking structure. I live in the San Francisco Bay area so it rarely gets super hot. my Explorer is "limo" black so that boosts the temperature some. not my first or second choice of colors, but that was what was available for resale at the time.

Back