• Register Today It's free!

Does KKM help gas mileage??

Sethro

Reaction score
City, State
Battle Creek, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 XLT SOHC
I know a ton of you have the KKM kit, I was just wondering if this improved gas mileage at all. If not does the K&N filtercharger?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

they both should increase your mileage. not sure by how much, though. also to actually improve gas mileage and not hurt it you must also try to drive more conservatively. with the extra power on tap there is a chance you may abuse the power if it is available. this will hurt mileage.

They both definately help highway mileage. Not my much, but they do help. In the city, you'll probably have more of a lead foot so you wont see many gains.

FYI: with all my mods, I now get 30 mpg on the highway! But I don't think you want to spend over $5000 on power mods just yet ;)

I gained squat...

Did zippo for me...

Originally posted by SplashMan
I have the K/N filter(drop-in) and I only gained about 2mpg in both my Sport 4.0 OHC and in the XLT 4.0 SOHC.

The KKM gave me about 2 mpg gain, This is both in town driving as well as highway driving.

Its a simple modificatoion that should easily pay for itself.

I had no gains because it sounds so good when you stomp on it. So it made my leadfoot worse.

ONLY 2? man, i sure wish i could pull another 2 out of my rig. that would pay for itself in NO time flat. -russel

sundown, did you remember to reprogram the computer?

Yep.

Yep. I'm not convinced that all these mods do a bit of good...KKM, Borla, Bosch+4s, Plug wires, T-stat, etc. Might be better to just save the $$$ and put it towards gas. Now lift, gears and tires, etc.....those are worth it.

i didnt notice a difference really with the KKM kit (and im assuming that the K&N kit yields the same), but i did see a difference with a superchip. a lil more $$, but a lil more gas mileage.

Ok...

Yep, and that's kind of my point...let's assume that it got you an extra mile per gallon, that means that you'll go an extra, what, 15 miles per tank? So that saves you 1.50 each tank? So it'll only take you 200 tanks of gas to pay for a $300 chip?

I know, it gives you more power......but does it? I'd love to see some independent dyno numbers FOR EXPLORERS, but that's expensive too, so we have to rely on the makers claims and subjective reports from, obviously well intentioned, but gung ho, enthusiasts hoping for more get up and go.

Now look, I want more power and better mileage just as much as the next guy, but I'm tired of dumping $$$ into crap that doesn't work...

So, I'll just enjoy the Explorer for what it is...a great truck that gets really crappy mileage and could use more power.

that many tanks of gas will only take me 1-2 years to pay for the chip...but then again i will also have to use premium soooooo......

Back