Does lowering an explorer compromise towing capabilties? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Does lowering an explorer compromise towing capabilties?

Marcus Aurelius

Reaction score
City, State
Toms River, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 XLT
I need to replace my shocks soon on my '01 explorer. I have not decided if I want it to stay at stock height or if I should lower it 2".

I don't go offroading with it, and I don't like to, but I do occasionally need to use a trailer and I want to make sure lowering won't greatly effect the trucks towing capabilties.

The trailer I use is a 5x10 utility trailer which probably only holds a max of about 3000lbs. so I wouldn't tow more than that. Thanks

-Marc

Depends on how you lower it. If it's a simple block lowering for the rear, no. If you switch out springs, your new springs will dictate the towing capacity.

You will bottom out easier though.

hopefully you know this allready but shocks are not the deciding factor on how high your rig rides its in the suspension springs and that would require changing them out like etc said.

Also like he said you will bottom out sooner over a bump and you will have to do something to make up for it more than just springs like air bags or something to increase the towing load

I'm leaning more towards keeping it stock, for now.

-Marc

Back