Does New Instrument Cluster Need Programmed? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Does New Instrument Cluster Need Programmed?

george4

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Explorer
I am getting an ECM and an Instrument cluster off of Ebay.

I know the ECM has to be programmed to work with the truck but I have had several people tell me that the Instrument Cluster also needs to be programmed. It has something to do with the PATS technology and marries the keys, the Instrument Cluster and the ECM together so they can communicate with one another.

Do any of you know for certain if this is true??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well if the ECM and IC you are getting are a "paired set" already you should be fine as far as the pairing is concerned AFAIK.

Would need a dealer computer to copy the mileage over to it though.

Then there is PATS, your keys would need to be programmed to the new ECU which you can do yourself with ForScan or pay a dealer to do it.

@TechGuru: Thanks for your help!

The ECM and IC are NOT paired.

I had "thought" about buying an ECM that has 2 keys and is already flashed. HOWEVER, as it turns out, I think, the IC also needs to be flashed to recognize the new ECM, correct?

So my thoughts are just get a cheap ECM and then buy the IC just in case it is my problem child. Then I can have someone here in Ecuador reprogram the ECM and the IC along with the keys.

Living in Ecuador makes everything very difficult. So your help is greaaaatly appreciated!!!!!!!!!!

I am getting an ECM and an Instrument cluster off of Ebay.

I know the ECM has to be programmed to work with the truck but I have had several people tell me that the Instrument Cluster also needs to be programmed. It has something to do with the PATS technology and marries the keys, the Instrument Cluster and the ECM together so they can communicate with one another.

Do any of you know for certain if this is true??
Is your IC not functioning? If it's OK, replace only the ECM. I bought mine from

http://www.fs1inc.com/modules/engin...m=+ecu +repair&utm_content=+ecu +repair (new).

They sent two keys programmed to work with the replacement. If you buy, you must follow their PATS programming instructions. They will need ALL info off your old PCM, the unit they sent me worked perfectly. Hope this helps. imp

@imp:
The truck runs OK. HOWEVER, the IC does not function properly. The digital read out [bottom right corner] does not function nor does the temp gauge, tach, speedo, and most idiot lights stay lit. The only thing functioning is the gas gauge, battery voltage, and oil pressure.

I have had it analyzed in 4 shops and they cannot repair anything but they all tell me it is due to lack of communication and tell me it is the ECM. However, having read on the forum it appears that it could as well be the IC.

Living in Ecuador I cannot afford to play around when I have a chance to have parts brought from the US so I have ordered both.

Let me ask you...

FS1inc told that even if I bought the programmed unit from them that it would NOT marry up with the IC on the 2005. They told me I would still need some additional programming. So was it plug and play for you?

Is your IC not functioning? If it's OK, replace only the ECM. I bought mine from

http://www.fs1inc.com/modules/engine-control-modules.html?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Domestic Broad Plus&utm_term=+ecu +repair&utm_content=+ecu +repair (new).

They sent two keys programmed to work with the replacement. If you buy, you must follow their PATS programming instructions. They will need ALL info off your old PCM, the unit they sent me worked perfectly. Hope this helps. imp

@imp:
Let me ask you...

FS1inc told that even if I bought the programmed unit from them that it would NOT marry up with the IC on the 2005. They told me I would still need some additional programming. So was it plug and play for you?

It was, yes, but mine is a 2004. Quite a few design changes occurred during the reign of Gen. 3, such as "drive by wire", so those folks may be right.

I wish I could be of more help, sorry. imp

@imp: Thanks again for your input!!!!

I have BOTH the ECU and the IC on there way to me here in Ecuador. HOPEFULLY, I can resolve this issue SOON!

It was, yes, but mine is a 2004. Quite a few design changes occurred during the reign of Gen. 3, such as "drive by wire", so those folks may be right.

I wish I could be of more help, sorry. imp

Back