Does O2 sensor come out through top access plate? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Does O2 sensor come out through top access plate?

adowns

Reaction score
City, State
Alabaster, AL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Mountaineer
1998 Mountaineer 5.0 liter V8 2WD

I need to replace the passenger side upstream oxygen sensor. Can I replace the oxygen sensor from the top through the access plate? Or is the access plate just for unplugging the connector?

I can reach up from below and feel the oxygen sensor but I don't think I can get a wrench or socket on it to remove it from the bottom. If it won't come out the top I will have to get a professional mechanic to do it for big $.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You have to pull out the console and replace it through the access hole.

You can replace it from under the truck, its just a tight fit reaching the wires. You need the O2 wrench socket adapter that looks like a figure 8, not the giant socket with a slot in the side. There are 2 heights, get the shorter one. Autozone has it as part of a $25 3-piece kit or you can buy it individually in the help section for around $12. Sears has it pretty cheap if you can find one in stock.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_...21x00003a&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=00996413000P

You can definintely change it from underneath, but long skinny arms are a great help.

I got it changed out ok, AND the check engine light cleared! I removed the top plate to unclip the connector and then removed the oxygen sensor from below after putting the vehicle on ramps. The console gave me a little trouble but here's a good tip for getting it loose...

At first PULLING from the back seat was futile. I just couldn't move it. I wasn't going to hammer it for fear of damaging the CD changer inside the console. I grabbed the console from the front and PUSHED with my legs against the firewall. Came right out. "A weak man's legs are more powerful than a strong man's arms."

Thanks to all who gave suggestions and encouragement.

Back