Does Octane booster work?

Glen4X4

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Lewistown, Pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLS
Hey ya'll I thought bout puttin octane booster in the ex tomorrow before we head on our camping trip, I've read on the bottles that it increases fuel mileage (mine is good as it is) but also read it cleans the motor and makes the gas burn better, so my question is, have any of you that may have used this experienced a difference and if so what brand should I get, I was looking at STP, NOS, Prestone and a couple other ones, so if ya have any recommendations tell me, I wanna try this stuff but don't want to use something that may hurt my motor. Thanks!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Don't bother. For most computer controlled engines it won't help, and some of them can foul plugs. You're better off using something like Seafoam to clean out your motor than using octane booster.

Save your $$

Ok, thanks, i just replaced the plugs in feb. so don't wanna ruin them already. I read in my dads manual that the after market stuff wouldn't help but didn't know if it only applied to his with it being newer or what.

Yeah man I wouldn't use any of that stuff. I have heard that it only very minutely raises the octane anyway, like less than 1 octane per bottle. Also you risk leaving a film or varnish on your fuel injectors even if it did work. If you want a higher octane than just get higher octane gas at the pump, its a sure thing. Also if you want to clean your engine and remove some carbon than just do what JDraper said and seafoam it.

well I'm back, put that seafoam in and filled my tank before going on our camping trip, and it didn't seem to really make much of a difference maybe a little tiny bit in power, but my gas mileage wasn't as good as what it usually is. It was on E and when i filled it only filled it only took about 13 gallons to fill it.

well I'm back, put that seafoam in and filled my tank before going on our camping trip, and it didn't seem to really make much of a difference maybe a little tiny bit in power, but my gas mileage wasn't as good as what it usually is. It was on E and when i filled it only filled it only took about 13 gallons to fill it.

Used it wrong. Do a search here on seafoam and you'll find the better way to use it. pull it in through the intake and it will clean the intake, injectors, valves and combustion chambers much more thoroughly. However, you most likely will have to install new plugs afterwards because all the gunk that gets removed from the motor will foul the plugs.

Ok, thanks for the tip, I thought before I seen on here, that yenz put it straight in but then the guy at Advance told me to put it in my tank. And then fill it.

I just wanted to use something that would help clean the combustion chamber out a little bit without me having to do a rebuild and I knew some of those addatives were suppose to do just that and also increase your gas mileage

thanks for that link...wow..did alot of reading on that lol.

To clean your engine slower if it's not already too gunked up without fouling the plugs you can put Seafoam in the gas and it will work. It's like putting fuel injection clean in the gas.

The Lucas product actually raises octane 30 points for one bottle in 25 gallons of gas
Remember, 10 points of octane is 1 octane number, so if you have 87 octane and you pour a full bottle into 25 gallons of gas, you will have 90 octane. Its the same way the refinery changes octane ratings, except when you add this stuff, its after the fact and after the pump. You won't hurt anything using it, I use it all the time in my snowmobile and quad
The NOS stuff SUCKS you won't even get 1 octane number from it and it costs more then Lucas. I think it costs more because it comes in a stainless steel can

Hey ya'll I thought bout puttin octane booster in the ex tomorrow before we head on our camping trip, I've read on the bottles that it increases fuel mileage (mine is good as it is) but also read it cleans the motor and makes the gas burn better,

Don't Belleville that you read, sorry.

I wanna try this stuff but don't want to use something that may hurt my motor. Thanks!!!

Doubtful it will hurt anything except your wallet.

I recommend avoiding it.

Good luck ....

Chevron Techron Concentrate Plus, i would like to try this stuff myself, but where in CANADA do they sell it?

Back