Does the 2013 Explorer Sport have a transfer case oil cooler? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Does the 2013 Explorer Sport have a transfer case oil cooler?

Oldammo1992

Reaction score
City, State
Aurora, Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ford Explorer Sport
I need to replace my PTU and I'm curious if it has a cooler too.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
I don't believe the PTU has an oil cooler. I don't recall it being mentioned in the threads on PTU issues and there have been a lot of them. There was mention that some newer ones were water cooled.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
I don't believe the PTU has an oil cooler. I don't recall it being mentioned in the threads on PTU issues and there have been a lot of them. There was mention that some newer ones were water cooled.

Peter

I believe the water cooled ones were 16+MY PIUs. My 17 doesn't even have a drain plug apparently, let alone a cooler.

The PTU is splash lubricated and has no pump to move fluid, so it will not have an oil cooler. As mentioned, there are water cooled PTUs. Just have a look at yours and see if it has coolant lines running to it to verify if it is water cooled or not.

DG1Z-7251-F: with cooler
DG1Z-7251-G: without cooler

Several of us who had the PTU replaced, received the newer watercooled version.
Before I sold my EX, the PTU was replaced with DG1Z-7251-F, but I did't recall if they actually added the plumbing.

Back