Does the 4.6L have the infamous Modular Engine Spark Plug Issue? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Does the 4.6L have the infamous Modular Engine Spark Plug Issue?

iowa_hick

Reaction score
City, State
Iowa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer EB
I'm planning on changing the spark plugs in my Explorer and a friend of mine warned me about the issue that the Modular Engine had with plugs breaking when removed. From what I've read, it sounds like that didn't apply to the 2 valve engine that is in the Explorer. Is that correct?

Thanks,
Jake

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Awesome! Thanks!

Be careful not to strip the threads in the head. Make sure the engine is cool; let it set over night.
When installing the plugs, use nickle anti-seize, and TTA. Using the torque spec. has been known to have plugs blow out.

Thanks for the tip! I was planning on changing the plugs tonight after I get home, but that would probably just be a couple of hours after driving it. If that isn't cool enough, I may want to wait until the weekend.

Thanks!
Jake

Highly recommend compressed air to blast out each well BEFORE removing the sparkplugs. They collect water, oil, and dirt. All that easily falls into the cylinder upon removal of the sparkplugs.

Thanks, Joe! I'll make sure to do that!

Your plugs will most likely come with “silver” colored threads. The coating on these threads is an anti-sieze, do NOT add additional anti-seize to these plugs. Anti-seize will cause you to over torque.

If the threads are black, use anti-seize, but you probably don’t have the correct spark plugs.

I believe the torque is around 13 ft lbs. I’ve always torqued to this and not had any issues.

I changed the plugs last week. I had planned to use anti-seize and do finger tight plus an 1/8 of a turn as suggested above, but on the first two my torque wrench was clicking at 13 ft-lbs when I reached the 1/8 of a turn, so I abandoned the anti-seize and just torqued the rest of them. So far so good and it's not missing under load anymore! Thanks everyone!

Back