Does the Explorer Sport have an integrated oil drain plug washer? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Does the Explorer Sport have an integrated oil drain plug washer?

jeebus

Reaction score
City, State
Knoxville, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 Porsche 911 C4S
My wife's '14 Sport is coming up on 20k miles and I need to do an oil change this weekend. I did the first one but I don't remember if the drain plug has an integrated gasket. Anyone know offhand? Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just did the first oil change on my wife's '15 Sport at about 700 miles and don't recall seeing any sort of gasket on the drain bolt.

It has a gasket but it's not attached to the drain plug.

Thanks guys. Looks like I need to swing by the dealership and pick one up.

No, I mean I need to pick up a gasket. For some reason I thought that the gasket was integrated into the drain plug.

*edit*

And it looks like my recollection is correct! Here's the drain plug image from Rockauto. The gasket is on the plug.
5065451-007__ra_p.jpg

If you do your own oil changes, you might think about getting a Fumoto drain valve. They're awesome and make oil changes basically mess free. Also no need to change gaskets with every oil change.

No, I mean I need to pick up a gasket. For some reason I thought that the gasket was integrated into the drain plug.

*edit*

And it looks like my recollection is correct! Here's the drain plug image from Rockauto. The gasket is on the plug.
5065451-007__ra_p.jpg

you still sure that there's no gasket (it would really be referred to as a "crush washer" - an aluminum or copper washer)? That drain plug design doesn't always guarantee that no crush washer is used. I haven't changed mine yet so I don't know. Does anyone have a link to a parts schematic to see if a crush washer is listed?

you still sure that there's no gasket (it would really be referred to as a "crush washer" - an aluminum or copper washer)? That drain plug design doesn't always guarantee that no crush washer is used. I haven't changed mine yet so I don't know. Does anyone have a link to a parts schematic to see if a crush washer is listed?

Everyone has access to parts schematics....www.fordparts.com

Everyone has access to parts schematics....www.fordparts.com

Thanks for that. Diagrams show a washer for the 3.5l, but no part number listed for it. The 2.0l has a washer and a part number. The 3.7l seems to have no washer.

Just to close the loop on this....the Sport (3.5L twin turbo) engine has no crush washer. The flange around the edge of the drain plug contains a rubber gasket. There was no evidence of leaking as a result of the last oil change.

There is a seal molded under the flange of the drain plug.

Nice Find. I just ordered mine!

Great thanks! Anyone know the torque spec on the Sport drain plug?

As a follow-up to this older thread, I'm about to do my first oil change. Does anyone know the proper torque setting for the oil drain plug on a 2016 Explorer Sport? Apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere.

As a follow-up to this older thread, I'm about to do my first oil change. Does anyone know the proper torque setting for the oil drain plug on a 2016 Explorer Sport? Apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere.
It has been asked before but no answer has been provided thus far that I have been able to find.

Peter

Great thanks! Anyone know the torque spec on the Sport drain plug?
The drain plug torque according to the Ford manual for a 2015 Explorer Sport is 17 to 22 pound-feet. I have a 2015 Sport. The plug has an o-ring type gasket molded into the plug. The gasket seals against the oil pan before the plug gets tight. There is no magnet on the end of the plug (would be nice if there were). The hex head takes a 15 mm wrench. The plug itself has a m14 x 1.5 thread. OEM cost at dealership is around $10.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The drain plug torque according to the Ford manual for a 2015 Explorer Sport is 17 to 22 pound-feet. I have a 2015 Sport. The plug has an o-ring type gasket molded into the plug. The gasket seals against the oil pan before the plug gets tight. There is no magnet on the end of the plug (would be nice if there were). The hex head takes a 15 mm wrench. The plug itself has a m14 x 1.5 thread. OEM cost at dealership is around $10.
Good info, but the member you responded to was last seen here August 25, 2020. Others may benefit from your answer.

Peter

Back