Does the gen 4 have a rear blower motor for the rear vents | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Does the gen 4 have a rear blower motor for the rear vents

Mitchs07explorer

Reaction score
City, State
Meridian, Idaho
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT V8 AWD
07 XLT V6
ive owned my ex since 2014 and my rear ac/heat vents that come out of the console hardly blow any air when turned on. I didn’t really worry about it to much until I picked up a 97 explorer. It too has ac/heat for the rear passengers but when you turn the switch for the rear vents to on, it blows almost as hard as the front vents. So is there a blower motor located elsewhere to power the rear vents in the gen 4 that I overlooked?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The models equipped with the rear heat and AC have a separate blower motor located under the rear window, I believe driver side. You loose some cargo space, and on the models w/o it, the side trim looks different.

The models equipped with the rear heat and AC have a separate blower motor located under the rear window, I believe driver side. You loose some cargo space, and on the models w/o it, the side trim looks different.
Thanks, I’ll take a look and see if I can find it, I just can’t see the point of putting vents in the console only to have next to nothing blow out of them :confused2:

If yours DOESNT HAVE the separate rear HVAC system with its own controls, you get two vents at the back of the armrest. If those are the ones you mean, check about 4 inches below them, near the 12 volt power port for a control that can be rotated upward to change airflow from the floor vents to those vents

the vents on the back of the console only divert air from the main hvac unit and that only has one blower motor.... the air will flow to the path of least resistance and unfortunately all the flow goes to the main panel and very little gets to the back of the console... if you dont have aux heat/ac the back seats are a miserable experience

Yep it’s just the vents in the console with the floor or face switch, no aux settings. I’ve never looked at it that close until today, I thought it was a multi setting switch. Bummer, it makes want to figure out a way to push more air through it.

Yep it’s just the vents in the console with the floor or face switch, no aux settings. I’ve never looked at it that close until today, I thought it was a multi setting switch. Bummer, it makes want to figure out a way to push more air through it.

been there thought about that..... would need to figure out where to add another fan and for a short time I was trying to reverse engineer a PTC heater from a 2019 f-150

Back