Does the PIU have additional bracing under the rear seats? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Does the PIU have additional bracing under the rear seats?

TerryY

Reaction score
City, State
Woodland Washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Explorer Sport
My PI sedan (2013) has enough extra metal under the back seat to make the seat uncomfortable for an adult with minimal padding. The cross bracing is in place for the 75 mph rear crash rating.

With my next vehicle up probably being a replacement for my '98 Explorer a PIU would be on the potentials list. But because one of them needs to be a 4 passenger the back seat could make the difference between a PIU and having to settle for a limited or sport 3.5 ecoboost.

Yes I understand searching for a 2015 or later ecoboost PIU may be considered long term entertainment. But after the ecoboost sedan a 3.7 may not cut it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The brace in the Utility is under the cargo area and around the spare tire under where the 3rd row would be. See photo in reply #2 above. With the Utility the spare tire needs to remain in place to keep the 75 MPH crash rating which makes mounting cabinets for equipment a pain because they have to be movable to get to the spare.

Thanks for the answers :)

Now the slow search can begin!

The brace in the Utility is under the cargo area and around the spare tire under where the 3rd row would be. See photo in reply #2 above. With the Utility the spare tire needs to remain in place to keep the 75 MPH crash rating which makes mounting cabinets for equipment a pain because they have to be movable to get to the spare.
wait... the spare tire becomes a structural component for the 75mph rating? Dang.

It is required in the Sedan too.
Hudson%20squad%20wrecked_1476731244457_6519839_ver1.0.jpg

IIRC that was done by a pick up truck at 70 or so when the car was parked on the shoulder.
http://www.kare11.com/news/hudson-police-squad-smashed-by-truck-on-i-94/337042421

And that is why all the extra bracing and using the spare with its heavy duty wheel as part of the crush zone in the back.

Back