Does the tire pressure sensor have a battery, if so can it be replaced? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Does the tire pressure sensor have a battery, if so can it be replaced?

BumbleRumble

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
Vehicle: 2004 Explorer EB with about 84800 miles

I went to Sears to get two tires for my front. I already got some for my back recently and now need to do the front.

One of the valve cap was stuck on the stem so I had to get that sensor replaced which cost me 60 bucks. I wasn't happy but it was going to get damage when trying to take it off.

The next morning driving to work. The light on my dash went off and and the message center said: "Tire Pressure Sensor Fault". I am assuming that the sensor they just replaced wasn't working right.

I took it back and the service guy said that he is going to check them out. He came back and said that the sensor the one in the front (that they didn't replace) didn't have any cracks so the battery just probably needs to be replaced.

I said okay you can replace the battery in it. Said the truck was ready. He said the total was $64.59. I am guessing that they replace the battery in the other 3 tire pressure sensors since trying to find the one with the dead battery would be difficult.

When I got home I realized that he change the sensor in the front instead of the battery. If that is the case, I don't need these sensors. I can do without them I check my tires anyway.

I am pretty annoyed that he replace the whole sensor rather than the battery like he originally said.

Any advice? Thank you

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Vehicle: 2004 Explorer EB with about 84800 miles

I went to Sears to get two tires for my front. I already got some for my back recently and now need to do the front.

One of the valve cap was stuck on the stem so I had to get that sensor replaced which cost me 60 bucks. I wasn't happy but it was going to get damage when trying to take it off.

The next morning driving to work. The light on my dash went off and and the message center said: "Tire Pressure Sensor Fault". I am assuming that the sensor they just replaced wasn't working right.

I took it back and the service guy said that he is going to check them out. He came back and said that the sensor the one in the front (that they didn't replace) didn't have any cracks so the battery just probably needs to be replaced.

I said okay you can replace the battery in it. Said the truck was ready. He said the total was $64.59. I am guessing that they replace the battery in the other 3 tire pressure sensors since trying to find the one with the dead battery would be difficult.

When I got home I realized that he change the sensor in the front instead of the battery. If that is the case, I don't need these sensors. I can do without them I check my tires anyway.

I am pretty annoyed that he replace the whole sensor rather than the battery like he originally said.

Any advice? Thank you
$64 for 3 sensors sounds like a steal. I was quoted $150 just for one on my 05 Aviator.

$64 for 3 sensors sounds like a steal. I was quoted $150 just for one on my 05 Aviator.

No, the service guy said that he would replace the battery but instead replaced the sensor.

When he said the total. I thought he replaced the "battery" in all 3 sensors. Until I realized that he replaced the sensor instead of replacing battery.

The timing of the battery failure is suspicious. Possible, but I don't like coincidence when something comes back from the shop not working.

I think they didn't reprogram the new sensor when they replaced it, or broke the other sensor changing the tire. I wouldn't be surprised if the battery is not replaceable.

http://www.sears.com/dill-7004-315-mhz-tpms-sensor/p-09595371000P

This is the sensor they installed. The next morning I received the "Tire Pressure Sensor Fault" message.

I took it back and they told the other front sensor needed to be replaced so they replace that one today. Now I have the "Warning Very Low Pressure" message now.

When changing tires and installing new sensor, are you suppose to retrain it?

I didn't hear any horn or anything when they had it inside today? I know this vehicle have a retrain instructions? Is it the absolute only way to retrain? I seen them using this little hand held device on the tires today near the sensors. I am guessing this is the way that sears generally retrain the sensor.

Also the sensor that they installed said "no training" and fit "most" (not all) Fords. Would it be possible that this sensor doesn't work with this vehicle?

Thank you

When I purchased new wheels for my X, I also bought new TPMS sensors. Looking at them, I don't really see a place where you could remove and replace a battery. I agree with 03 Explorer XLT that they probably damaged the sensor which caused it not to work. At least now you have 2 new sensors that will last a long time :)

Any advice? Thank you

I don't know if the TPMS sensors have batteries in them or not, first time I heard someone mention this and sounds fishy to me, because millions of people would be spending tons of money having these batteries replaced all the time. The owners manual also states that you should not reply on these sensors for knowing your proper tire inflation and you should manually check your tire pressure yourself with a tire pressure gauge. When I bought my Explorer, the previous owner changed from the factory rims to Lincoln Aviator/Navigator rims and never had the TPMS sensors installed and neither did I. Waste of money. I do get a "TPMS message fault" on my message screen each time I start the vehicle, but it only takes one tap of my finger on the "reset" button to clear the message from the screen. I spoke to a Ford dealership about having the TPMS system turned off completely so I wouldn't get that warning message on the message screen, and they said they can't turn it off through the PCM because it was a safety feature. Don't know if any states require working TPMS sensors for their yearly state vehicle inspections, but in New York State, they do not, so you can live without them and save the money of screwing around with those "useless" tire pressure sensors. Just visually look at the tire inflation of your tires every now and then(looking for a low pressure tire) and check the tire inflation with a gauge at your normal maintenance intervals and you'll be fine.

Thanks.

Update:
driving to work today again and the Tire Pressure Sensor Fault comes on again. With two new fronts sensors.

Took it back and told them that it wasn't a problem with that sensor. Because I am getting the same message again.

The guy ask for the keys to pull it in. He comes back and say "oh the left rear on needs to be replaced now that one is dead. The light didn't come on". What is the odds of soon after they replace the tires a sensor goes out. They say it needs to be replace and the message comes back. I take it back and they say oh well another one just went out. They say : Our reader light that tells us the sensor is working isn't coming on.

My sensors are fine until I take it to them so now they want to replace 3 sensors now.

The timing seems kind of odd for this now.

I think they may be doing something wrong when resetting the TPMS, or they are taking you for a ride. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1284024&postcount=13 is where you can "train" the TPMS modules to work. All you need is a good magnet. If you can get it to work without a fault, then they haven't been trained properly with the new sensors. These sensors do go to sleep, but this is after 30 minutes, so if they are checking them after letting it sit for a while, they may have fallen asleep. A drive around the parking lot would wake them up.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1284024 is a great area to learn about the TPMS for explorers.

Take it to a different shop?

the battery that is in them is meant to last the life of the sensor, and as far as i know is not replaceable.

You'll be back for the fourth, then something else.

These guys are just throwing parts at it.

Thanks everyone for the advice.

So I was going to order the OTC magnet (that fits over the stem). And while reading other threads on here; a member spoke about using a magnet bar from RadioShack. Went to RadioShack purchased the magnet bar for $2.99.

Link: http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2102689

I read the relearn instructions a few times. And decided to give it a try. I successfully placed it in the relearn stage and started with the left front as stated in the message center.

The left and right front are the ones with the new sensors. And the rears one are the original ones that came with the vehicle.

So after 10 times of trying; the horn wouldn't sound. I couldn't get pass the first sensor so I couldn't test the other ones (so I thought).

So I was reading some more information online where a guy said he activated his with a telescope magnet.

Another guy stated that you don't have to follow the sequence. This helps me out a lot because I need a way to figure out which sensors was working.

So I decide to start with the two original sensors in the rear and those sounded the horn within 4 seconds of placing the magnet from radioshack. Decided to do it with the two new was that Steals(Sears) installed and no go.

So I've come to realize that those sensors doesn't work with the vehicle. So the guy tossed out my other front sensor thinking it was dead when indeed it wasn't. And the error on the message center was from the new one they install. And they had a nerve to tell me that the rear left one needs to be replace.

So I went back to them to let them know the sensors doesn't work with the vehicle. I was kind of shocked to hear their response. I was thinking something along the lines of a refund (totaling approx: $130 with tax)since the sensors doesn't work. They told me to go to the local Ford down the road and they will pay for the bill since Ford might have better tools than them to program the sensors. I figure $100 for diagnostic fee and $100 to reprogram (if they can).. total $200...way more than a refund.

What I don't understand is what tools can Ford use that is better than the one Sears use? From what I understand a magnet is usually used..maybe Ford use something different than the magnet trick?

Back