Does the transmission to transfer case adapter normally contain fluid? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Does the transmission to transfer case adapter normally contain fluid?

drdoom

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Eddie Bauer 4.6L 4X4
I pulled the transfer case out of my '97 XLT, and noticed a good bit of fluid came out of the adapter housing. I am replacing all seals in the 4405 case, but should I replace the rear transmission (5R55E?) seal while it is accessible? Is the fluid supposed to be in there, and will it be replaced when I top off the transmission fluid?
Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You will always get a little fluid when you remove the transfer case in my experience.

Took a better look at it...

Thanks, swetrid...I took a better look under there, which I should have done before posting this thread. You are correct, it is supposed to have fluid, and there is no seal in there, just the paper gasket where the transfer case bolts up. I have a new gasket that came with my seal kit, so after I bolt the rebuilt transfer case back in, I'll top off the transmission fluid.

No, there should be no fluid inside the adapter housing. There is an output shaft seal on the trans, and an input shaft seal on the T-case. One of them is leaking.

No, there should be no fluid inside the adapter housing. There is an output shaft seal on the trans, and an input shaft seal on the T-case. One of them is leaking.

Incorrect. Only 2WD has an output shaft seal, and that is at the back end of the extension, where the driveshaft goes. There is no output shaft seal on those units with the transfer case adapter. That is a "wet" area, and if you look in the valve body, the little "puck" is the extension housing lube orifice .

OK. I am guessing you need to remove the adapter to access this? I will post up a photo in a few days. What I saw inside the housing was a long, thin shaft, with a large toothed gear around it. I also recall a small hole in the bottom of the housing, which I thought was a fluid return hole.
Thank you very much for the reply.

i'm not sure if this helps, but i noticed the same thing on my 98, but i'm too lazy to jack the trans up, remove the trans mount, remove the extension housing, and park pawl, so i just used silicone between the t-case and extension housing to seal it all up, and filled the trans back up, so now it's not leaking out anymore, and my trans is full, kinda a redneck/easy/cheap alternative

Incorrect. Only 2WD has an output shaft seal, and that is at the back end of the extension, where the driveshaft goes. There is no output shaft seal on those units with the transfer case adapter. That is a "wet" area, and if you look in the valve body, the little "puck" is the extension housing lube orifice .

Since it was brought back up....

I was thinking M5OD, which has a seal, unlike the 5R55E.

Does your transfer case have 4 or 6 bolts

I'm bettin' on 5. ;)

Back