Does the UK spec 98 have an additional stereo amplifier? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Does the UK spec 98 have an additional stereo amplifier?

watters

Reaction score
City, State
West Lothian
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Standard UK Spec
Hi all.

Been looking at aftermarket stereos for my Ex.

I have to buy a wiring adaptor harness and it seems they come as compatable with external amp or not as the case may be.

I really don't know what i have, short of pulling apart the rear panels to have a look for an amp (as this is where it's supposed to be).

I know the rear controls and changer will no longer work but the amp is an option i'd like to keep if i have it.

I have the Ford 7000 series unit fitted at present and everything works as it should.

Also read about the ford premium sound system with subwoofer...? Do we have one hidden somewhere i didn't know about?

Maybe reading too far into the US specs now but this is really doing my head in now.

Anyone know what's what?

Cheers.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

theres no external amp as the ford radio has that built in, so you would need a radio iso cable only

From what I've seen in pic's and stuff, the American Explorers tend to have an optional amp where our cd changer lives.
I've yet to see a UK spec Explorer with the Ford Subwoofer in the boot, as i was also looking at his not too long ago.
Decided to have a think about it before jumping in...

yea alot of them used mdf board instead of the plastic panel and used a bigger sized sub n amp wattage in the same area tucked on top of the wheel arch

As the other guys have said we have no separate amp. As you are fitting aftermarket head unit just the iso connector is all you'll need. I say need as you may want to fit a sub. In the states there are Ford plastic sub box that fits where the cd changer or cargo net is in the o/s rear 1/4 in ours. there is also an aftermarket supplier of these boxes in the US.

FYI i think blueka fitted one in betty

If you want a stealth (hidden or at least out of the way) sub you could utilis this space by building your own box to fit this space. I thought about cutting some firm foam then using this to make a fibre glass one shaped for this area but it would be easier to build one from mdf
Here is a page with a plan for anyone that wants to give it a go
http://www.cuttingedgeracing.com/zach/box/plans.pdf

Thanks guys.

The new head unit is fitted with iso adaptor.

You have definitely got me thinking about a custom install now Jan. I have a cupboard full of different Speakers, Amps, Leads and wiring but with the Explorer's i never attempted an install as i have two dogs that have to go in the back and that being the place in other cars i always based my installs. Now stealth, hidden kit sounds like a plan! Never even thought about that before.

Excellent, i get my Explorer filled with sounds and the wife gets her cupboard back it's win win!

Before i set about the rear of the car i'm going to run everything for amps to sit under the rear seats and go from there.

Will post up how i get on or maybe start a project thread with pics.

Back