does this sound like a bad power steering pump | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

• Holiday Special! - 2 for 1 Elite Explorer sale!

Right now you can purchase an Elite Explorer membership for $20 and receive a two year membership! If you have an existing Elite membership contact me by PM and I will upgrade your account manually.

Click Here to start your membership and get rid of the ads!

does this sound like a bad power steering pump

eddie95

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer 4.8 AWD
I have a 1995 ford explorer and the power steering whines when turning/applying gas simultaneously. It also doesnt work when at idle unless i give it just enough gas to jump a few hundred rpm's and its still hard to turn. The belt is good and it is not slipping. I just got this vehicle and when i first checked the fluid it was waaay overfilled. Am i correct to assume that this is probably a bad pump? There are no leaks whatsoever. I found a re manufactured pump at autozone for 48 bucks. It has a lifetime warranty, so is it an acceptable replacement?.

Thanks,
Ben

Holiday Special! Join the Elite Explorers $20 for 2 years! Gets rid of the ads!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

jplinville

I make knives...and invest in bandages.
Reaction score
Here, there, a little bit of everywhere...
City, State
Dayton, Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
Too many to list here...
I have a 1995 ford explorer and the power steering whines when turning/applying gas simultaneously. It also doesnt work when at idle unless i give it just enough gas to jump a few hundred rpm's and its still hard to turn. The belt is good and it is not slipping. I just got this vehicle and when i first checked the fluid it was waaay overfilled. Am i correct to assume that this is probably a bad pump? There are no leaks whatsoever. I found a re manufactured pump at autozone for 48 bucks. It has a lifetime warranty, so is it an acceptable replacement?.

Thanks,
Ben

Did you remove the excess fluid? if not, use a turkey baster and remove it.

That replacement isn't bad at all. If you have the 5.0, look into upgrading to a Saginaw pump...you'll need to change the bracket, but it's a MUCH quieter pump. The stock pumps have a habit of making noise, no matter what you do...That doesn't mean that they are bad, but the Saginaw is quiet.

Lube

Reaction score
City, State
Oklahoma
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 XLT
Yes, it's a bad pump.

eddie95

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer 4.8 AWD
I did remove the excess fluid. Thanks for confirming what i was suspecting! When filling it, do you guys use the mercon atf fluid or just off the shelf ps fluid.

Lube

Reaction score
City, State
Oklahoma
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 XLT
I'd use a full synthetic oil meeting Mercon spec. You should flush the rack while your at it.