does this sound like a bad power steering pump | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

does this sound like a bad power steering pump

eddie95

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer 4.8 AWD
I have a 1995 ford explorer and the power steering whines when turning/applying gas simultaneously. It also doesnt work when at idle unless i give it just enough gas to jump a few hundred rpm's and its still hard to turn. The belt is good and it is not slipping. I just got this vehicle and when i first checked the fluid it was waaay overfilled. Am i correct to assume that this is probably a bad pump? There are no leaks whatsoever. I found a re manufactured pump at autozone for 48 bucks. It has a lifetime warranty, so is it an acceptable replacement?.

Thanks,
Ben

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 1995 ford explorer and the power steering whines when turning/applying gas simultaneously. It also doesnt work when at idle unless i give it just enough gas to jump a few hundred rpm's and its still hard to turn. The belt is good and it is not slipping. I just got this vehicle and when i first checked the fluid it was waaay overfilled. Am i correct to assume that this is probably a bad pump? There are no leaks whatsoever. I found a re manufactured pump at autozone for 48 bucks. It has a lifetime warranty, so is it an acceptable replacement?.

Thanks,
Ben

Did you remove the excess fluid? if not, use a turkey baster and remove it.

That replacement isn't bad at all. If you have the 5.0, look into upgrading to a Saginaw pump...you'll need to change the bracket, but it's a MUCH quieter pump. The stock pumps have a habit of making noise, no matter what you do...That doesn't mean that they are bad, but the Saginaw is quiet.

Yes, it's a bad pump.

I did remove the excess fluid. Thanks for confirming what i was suspecting! When filling it, do you guys use the mercon atf fluid or just off the shelf ps fluid.

I'd use a full synthetic oil meeting Mercon spec. You should flush the rack while your at it.

Back