Doesn't new explorers come with 2 keys, a manual and navigation SD card? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Doesn't new explorers come with 2 keys, a manual and navigation SD card?

ExpSport2014

Reaction score
City, State
Pacific NW
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014, Ford Explorer Sport
I just brought home a brand new 2014 Explorer sport with navigation option. I thought, the extra key, vehicle manual and the SD card for the navigation system will be in the glove box. Found none of it when I got home. Is it just a dealer sloppyness or I am not supposed to get it? This is the first time ever, I bought an American Car, hope, it won't be my last!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

All the missing items is part of the delivery of a new explorer....sloppy dealership..!

I just brought home a brand new 2014 Explorer sport with navigation option. I thought, the extra key, vehicle manual and the SD card for the navigation system will be in the glove box. Found none of it when I got home. Is it just a dealer sloppyness or I am not supposed to get it? This is the first time ever, I bought an American Car, hope, it won't be my last!

Sounds like dealer sloppyness. Contact them, let them know and let them rectify the omissions. Not sure you want to judge the car based on what the dealer does. Judge the car based on the car, and hopefully you've got a good one.

Also mention it to Ford CS on this site that you received very poor service.

Ford needs to know about that.

Name the dealership here too.

Also when you get the after sales survey MAKE SURE you fill it out with the negative comments about this. Those surveys will end up getting right back and Ford does take them seriously.

My first Ex I hammered the sales and deliveryin the survey, the sales guy told me later the lower rating dropped him down so he didnt get a certain % of pay

All those items are shipped together in a bag inside the vehicle, heres a sticker on the window that is the QC check to make sure they are confirmed inside.

This is very sloppy on the salesman's part. Not only should the prep department made sure the manual and SD card were present the salesman should have double checked and went over some of the features before you drove off. Both sets of keys should have been with the salesman in anticipation for you to come in to sign the papers.

The nav card should be installed in the slot in the console. Otherwise, the nav system will not work.

Are you looking in the glove box, or the arm rest? Just checking.

The dealer should have reviewed the manual, given you both keys, etc. at delivery. Any special circumstances at delivery that would have prevented them from doing that? Did you take delivery at a Ford dealership?

The navigation doesn't work anyway. just look at it as a loss and move on.

iPhone 4/5 with apple maps is only nav that works in 14exS, however don't plan on receiving text messages........."device not compatible with vehicle"

This is my last American car.

The dealer definitely forgot those. I'm sure those items are at the dealer waiting for you. Hopefully the rest of the dealership experience was a good one. Enjoy your new Explorer! I know i love mine

iPhone 4/5 with apple maps is only nav that works in 14exS, however don't plan on receiving text messages........."device not compatible with vehicle"

Good luck relying on Apple maps.

Probably the worst mapping GEO data I have ever used, got me lost numerous times.

My iphone5 text feature works flawlessly with MFT v3.6.2

Not all of us are of that opinion. My nav has worked very well.

Welcome to the Forum ExpSport2014.:wavey:
As other members have posted, all those missing items should have been with the vehicle upon delivery. When I picked up mine, the navigation card was already installed and everything was setup for me. I would definitely bring this 'oversight' to the attention of the dealership management.
As for the navigation, you will find varying opinions on its usefulness.
Only some people seem to have problems with the navigation for some reason. Mine has worked great since I picked up the Explorer almost 3 years ago.

I would like to suggest that you download the Owner's Guide to your computer for easier referencing. It is a PDF document. Saving it to your computer will allow you to use the 'Find" command to search for items . The Owner's Guide isn't the most well laid out book. You can use the link below. No need to sign in. Just select Year, Make and Model and click on Find My Vehicle.
https://owner.ford.com/servlet/Cont...kToLogin=Owner/Page/OwnerGuidePage&ord=915101
Happy motoring and wishing you and yours a very Happy New Year to come. :party:

Peter

Hi ExpSport2014,

Congratulations on your new Explorer! I recommend calling your dealership so they have the opportunity to make this right. As others mentioned, I can document your feedback about your experience. If you'd like to proceed, send me a PM with your full name, best daytime phone number, dealership info, and any specifics you'd like me to include.

Crystal

Pretty sure that no one would suggest apple maps as an alternative to any navigation system, the data is getting better, but mediocre at best. Also if you can not recv text messages using an iPhone 4 or 5 then you 1) aren't on the latest version of iOS, or 2) aren't on the latest version of MFT. Both of which are issues w/ the user, not with the system.

Suggesting that someone count not getting purchased items while taking delivery as "a loss" and that they should just disregard them is horrible advice.

Thank you

Thank you everybody who took time to give feedback! I contacted the dealer and was told, they have those and will ship them to me promptly. I like the car so far. This is my 5th car Toyota Camry --> Lexus --> BMW X5 --> VW Touareg --> Ford explorer Sport. Only thing I miss so far is the professionalism and luxury aspect of luxury cars luxury dealers. For example, Ford could have included push button start and a single panel moon roof with basic 400A package and not charge me $6000 more for the bells and whistles I don't need with a 401A Package + dual panel Moon roof . Sorry, I don't need dual panel. How can I get a single panel? Answer was, you get dual panel or none at all. I thought, that was ridiculous!

Thank you everybody who took time to give feedback! I contacted the dealer and was told, they have those and will ship them to me promptly. I like the car so far. This is my 5th car Toyota Camry --> Lexus --> BMW X5 --> VW Touareg --> Ford explorer Sport. Only thing I miss so far is the professionalism and luxury aspect of luxury cars luxury dealers. For example, Ford could have included push button start and a single panel moon roof with basic 400A package and not charge me $6000 more for the bells and whistles I don't need with a 401A Package + dual panel Moon roof . Sorry, I don't need dual panel. How can I get a single panel? Answer was, you get dual panel or none at all. I thought, that was ridiculous!
It all comes down to $$. The same as some TV cable packages include channels you don't need/want but to get what you want you have to take the entire package. It's marketing 101. If Ford was to offer a single moonroof in addition to what they have now, it would mean adding another body style which again would cost more. Many manufacturers operate this way. It is likely cheaper for a manufacturer to limit the number of packages that you can order. In any case, I lover the dual panel. It really seems to open up the inside.

Peter

No one twisted your arm to by the vehicle did they?

Many vehicles are packaged in such a way to support the masses. As Peter suggests, they do so in order to save $$$ and to help make the assembly lines operate more profitably/faster. If we were all able to order our vehicles a la carte, it would take a very long time to produce each vehicle and make them even more expensive in the end. It kills me how many people nit pick about how the options within the various packages...ridiculous....
I love my dual panel roof....it was worth every penny.

Ok, some of you, who are trying to be spokesperson for Ford. I must say, I did not ask for your opinion. If you want to express your opinion, be civil about it. Like I said, this is my first American car and my honest opinion about what Ford can do better. Yes, I bought BMW X5 in the past for $60K+$6k sales tax. I know what dual panel moon roof feels like and yes, it comes standard! And NO, I don't find much use for it.

Ok, some of you, who are trying to be spokesperson for Ford. I must say, I did not ask for your opinion. If you want to express your opinion, be civil about it. Like I said, this is my first American car and my honest opinion about what Ford can do better. Yes, I bought BMW X5 in the past for $60K+$6k sales tax. I know what dual panel moon roof feels like and yes, it comes standard! And NO, I don't find much use for it.

Was going to say that you have the choice between regular or dual panel roof, but just checked the Ford site and that is not the case for 2014 (was for 2013). Reasoning is probably because the take rate on the regular moonroof was low, and it is more cost effective to just offer the dual panel roof (plus there is a higher profit margin).

IMO, the dual panel roof in the Ford is lacking compared to others, such as BMW and Porsche--in the Cayenne it was one large glass area, with a sliding panel about 50% larger than the standard moonroof--not a standard moonroof with a glass panel behind it (and the interior trim across the middle).

Hopefully you will find that other areas make up for the shortcomings to your previous cars, and you are able to enjoy the Explorer!

Was going to say that you have the choice between regular or dual panel roof, but just checked the Ford site and that is not the case for 2014 (was for 2013)..........
Brian that statement came as a surprise to me seeing as how I've been 'Building & Pricing' the models since I got my 2011. I just did that again with the 2013 models and there is no option to get anything other than the dual panel moonroof. The moonroof has always been an option and it has always been the 'dual'.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Brian that statement came as a surprise to me seeing as how I've been 'Building & Pricing' the models since I got my 2011. I just did that again with the 2013 models and there is no option to get anything other than the dual panel moonroof. The moonroof has always been an option and it has always been the 'dual'.

Peter

Correct, there has always only been the optional dual panel moonroof on all 2011+. No single panel since 2010.

Back