Dog Hair Mitigation | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Dog Hair Mitigation

Post number 13 has been selected as best answered.

ou81

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Ottawa, ON
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
A few days ago I took my 2017 Explorer Platinum in to my dealer for spring maintenance and detailing to get rid of all of the hair my German Sheppard deposited on the rear carpet.

On my way out, I noticed that they had an Atlas Blue 2020 ST (plus the premium tech and street packages) on the lot. The next thing I knew, I had traded in the Platinum and had upgraded to the ST. I wasn't able to test drive it due to the restrictions put in place because of the dreaded virus. So I took a leap of faith. The dealer will deliver it to my home next week.

I was hoping someone could recommend a carpet liner and fence for the ST that would protect the rear carpet from hair and keep the dog in the back. I keep the third row seats down so would like the liner to reach to behind the second row of seats.

Edit: I just noticed Ford.ca have a somewhat expensive cargo area protector that would do the job but I'd have to put down a rug to make it more comfortable for the dog. They don't seem to have a fence though.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

my boxer goes in a fabric crate.. no way am I letting the dog hair on my carpet or nails scratching the interior.

My labs go in the Jeep, no way they are getting in the Explorer

Here are a couple links from the 5th gen forum.

Peter

Dog hair mitigation? Only way to do that is get rid of the dog :). After years of carrying three dogs in my old Chevy Trailblazer it's a disaster. One of my dogs used to get car sick and he always chose to vomit between the seat and rear door, onto the top of the body computer and fuse box. They drooled all over the rear armrests and door. A seat cover kept the seat in great shape though.

There are many available from companies like Orvis or pet supply operations like Chewy. Wethertech, Chewy, and others also have fence like barricades that you set up behind the seat to keep the dog in the back. It can also save the dog's life and yours in an accident by keeping the dog in place. We have a Lloyd's Mats carpet mat in the back of our ST and there are rubber dog hair brushes available that do an excellent job of capturing dog hair for clean up.

I use the following on the 3rd and 2nd rows carpets with this stuff. Works great and leaves no residue. When I sold my 2017, i was picking hair out of the carpets on the back of the 2nd row seats and I told myself never again. I now have a gate and protector in the very back in addition to the carpet protector. I also, have the dog area a little bit further back (1/2 foot) away from edge so he couldn't rub up against any protected carpet.

If you’re concerned about getting the dog hair out what I would recommend is getting a vacuum and a Lilly brush. The Lilly brush is amazing and should get the majority of it out but it depends on the length of the fur strands. I put a link to the Lilly brush on Amazon below.

If you keep the third row down I would just recommend getting the floor liner and buy a black netting and cut it to length and anchor it as a fence if you get what I mean. That’s what I would do if it were me because I looked and couldn’t find much to what you were looking for.

I’ve never had a dog unfortunately :( so I hope this helps. :)

Lilly brush: Lilly Brush Mini Pet Hair Detailer Amazon.com: Lilly Brush Mini Pet Hair Detailer: Pet Supplies

Black Netting:
FCN Adjustable Elastic Heavy Duty SUV Trunk Net - Universal Stretchable Cargo Net with Hooks | Organizer, Storage, Mesh, Nylon, Bungee | for Car, SUV, Van -Black Amazon.com: FCN Adjustable Elastic Heavy Duty SUV Trunk Net - Universal Stretchable Cargo Net with Hooks | Organizer, Storage, Mesh, Nylon, Bungee | for Car, SUV, Van -Black: Automotive

A few days ago I took my 2017 Explorer Platinum in to my dealer for spring maintenance and detailing to get rid of all of the hair my German Sheppard deposited on the rear carpet.

On my way out, I noticed that they had an Atlas Blue 2020 ST (plus the premium tech and street packages) on the lot. The next thing I knew, I had traded in the Platinum and had upgraded to the ST. I wasn't able to test drive it due to the restrictions put in place because of the dreaded virus. So I took a leap of faith. The dealer will deliver it to my home next week.

I was hoping someone could recommend a carpet liner and fence for the ST that would protect the rear carpet from hair and keep the dog in the back. I keep the third row seats down so would like the liner to reach to behind the second row of seats.

Edit: I just noticed Ford.ca have a somewhat expensive cargo area protector that would do the job but I'd have to put down a rug to make it more comfortable for the dog. They don't seem to have a fence though.

If you’re concerned about getting the dog hair out what I would recommend is getting a vacuum and a Lilly brush. The Lilly brush is amazing and should get the majority of it out but it depends on the length of the fur strands. I put a link to the Lilly brush on Amazon below.

If you keep the third row down I would just recommend getting the floor liner and buy a black netting and cut it to length and anchor it as a fence if you get what I mean. That’s what I would do if it were me because I looked and couldn’t find much to what you were looking for.

I’ve never had a dog unfortunately :( so I hope this helps. :)

Lilly brush: Lilly Brush Mini Pet Hair Detailer Amazon.com: Lilly Brush Mini Pet Hair Detailer: Pet Supplies

Black Netting:
FCN Adjustable Elastic Heavy Duty SUV Trunk Net - Universal Stretchable Cargo Net with Hooks | Organizer, Storage, Mesh, Nylon, Bungee | for Car, SUV, Van -Black Amazon.com: FCN Adjustable Elastic Heavy Duty SUV Trunk Net - Universal Stretchable Cargo Net with Hooks | Organizer, Storage, Mesh, Nylon, Bungee | for Car, SUV, Van -Black: Automotive
My dog produces enough hair I should have a sweater business. Have 2017 XLT, use Weathertech cargo mat and put her 30x40 bed along one side. Added a pet seat cover from Amazon and draped it back over the seat (does not cover 2nd row seating at all) and stuffed excess down below 2nd row seat and cargo. Prevents hair and cargo mat is spill proof so she can have water bowl and if spills no worries.

^^ Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Both my dogs ride in the back and I found out the hard way that you shouldn't drive with the windows down right after picking them up from the groomer.:laugh:

Peter

Weather Tech!!!!! their liners are the best. They are made from a softer rubber so no nail noise or scratching from the dog, should be soft enough not to require any blanket or carpet, my dog likes laying on tile and concrete so its never been an issue for me. They are nonskid and keep any cargo from sliding around, optional cargo management system for $35 is a great buy too. I recommend their floor mats to everyone here in the midwest to keep salt and slush from destroying the carpet, they are 10X better then the crappy ones the dealer gave me. 2020 Ford Explorer ST | Cargo Mat and Trunk Liner for Cars SUVs and Minivans | WeatherTech

Welcome to the Forum Rob. :wave:
I'm afraid I have to disagree on the WeatherTech floor liners. The Husky liners have better coverage. They come up and cover the area right over to the door sill and they also cover the entire 'dead pedal' whereas the WeatherTechs do not. See posts 124 and 125 here; WeatherTech Digital Floor Liners
I've never had the WeatherTech cargo liner so I can't comment on that. I've used Husky and OEM cargo liners.

Peter

Weather Tech!!!!! their liners are the best. They are made from a softer rubber so no nail noise or scratching from the dog, should be soft enough not to require any blanket or carpet, my dog likes laying on tile and concrete so its never been an issue for me. They are nonskid and keep any cargo from sliding around, optional cargo management system for $35 is a great buy too. I recommend their floor mats to everyone here in the midwest to keep salt and slush from destroying the carpet, they are 10X better then the crappy ones the dealer gave me. 2020 Ford Explorer ST | Cargo Mat and Trunk Liner for Cars SUVs and Minivans | WeatherTech
This. Weather tech mats on front and 2nd row floor, mat for rear with 3rd row down + pet seat cover for 2nd row where the dog rides.

I don't have a newer Explorer and my 1994 is a trail rig so I don't care that much about dog hair. We have a Infinity with a black leather interior. On that, we use a pet hammock I got off Amazon for less than $20.00. No dog hair on the carpet, no scratched leather seats. Easy to install / remove. They are all about the same so I won't bother posting a link. I saw them for sale at Costco for less a week after purchasing this one. Have a Shepard Mal cross who sheds like crazy.

Weathertech.com

I tend to agree with other posters do YOUR research, if you can post here you should be able to find the information yourself. Considering this is a new model, there aren't going to be many opinions. Amazon and pet product suppliers are going to be your best bet for reviews.

My dog produces enough hair I should have a sweater business.
Some years ago my dog was getting treatment for cancer. We would go to the clinic and there was a guy there with a spinning wheel and a bag full of dog fur. He spun the fur into yarn that a friend of his used to knit sweaters. Go figure.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Some years ago my dog was getting treatment for cancer. We would go to the clinic and there was a guy there with a spinning wheel and a bag full of dog fur. He spun the fur into yarn that a friend of his used to knit sweaters. Go figure.
One man's trash is another's treasure! LMAO

Back