dog leg/rocker panel replacement | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

dog leg/rocker panel replacement

Fixing dog legs/rocker panels

I just bought a '92 Explorer...needs dog legs and rocker panel replacement. Is there any books that cover this or does anyone have a website that covers this and pics? I'd like to do it myself as a learning experience and, basically, to save some money...more importantly the learning experience with rot, body work, welding, etc. Any ideas or leads would be appreciated. Guy(NH)

try explorer express, like 37 dollars apiece.

thanx....but...

Thanx for the reply! I have the parts...I was hoping for some responses on what to expect, any hints or advice on how to replace these parts...Guy(NH)

Here are some tips.
make sure you use some sort of zinc weld through primer. Not any ol primer. It has to be wled through. Coat any underside surface or covered surface with that stuff. Normal primer will burn up by the heat of the weld but weld through will bond due to the heat of the weld. ( thus making it ineffective as regular primer )

Make sure you go well past the rust area when you cut out the bad stuff. At least two inches.

Be very generous with primer , seam sealer and undercoating.

Lemmie know it you need any more tips. I do this stuff for a living so I can walk you through it.

Back