Dog legs | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Dog legs

Just have a question. My dog leg on one side is done and i had to cut it out. I am going to replace it but want to know, Can i eliminate that dog leg some how. I do not like the way it looks and want a nice smooth piece all across the rockers from front to back. Is it lying over the rocker for any particular reason like body flex etc? Any does anyone have any pics of a repaired dog leg or a mod in that area.

yes that IS a structural piece. The dog leg is part of your "C" pillar.
I would not recomend removing it completley, or even partially.

well, if i were to buy the replacement part i would have to cut it out right? I didn't mean remove it for good, sorry i didn't word it right. All i meant is when i put the preformed replacement dog leg in, i plan on welding both sides in then putty etc to completely cover any joints etc. But originally ford had left the over lap where the dog leg meets the rocker, now was that intentional due to movement of the panels? Or is it ok to smooth it out and hide it. I plan on cutting out all the rust but i will also cut out what i need to make the new dog leg fit too. What do you think Monmix? Is this ok to do or will i pay later?

OH !!!! Gotcha'
Yeah it sounds to me like you are doing it right. Make sure you use a zinc based weld thru primer in your weld areas.
The over lap at the rocker is for strength in that joint area. I would as much as possible try to maintain that structure. If you want to fill that area once you have restablished the structural integrity you can do that, but I would put some thick mar-glass on the joint prior to the regular body filler.

oh ok, good plan. The repair should work well then! Thanks for all your advice, i really appreciate the help. Take care!

Back