• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Dog Problem, advice before I loose my mind please

Skibug

Reaction score
City, State
Pensacola, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 Sport 4x4
Well, we have had our Dachshund for a little over a year now. I did not want a dog, but I gave into my wife, who really wanted one and now I am about at my wits end with this peeing dog and ready to throw it out onto the street. We crate trained her and she learned quickly. She never had an accident in the house after the training. She would always would sit and bark by the door if she needed to go out. We keep her in her crate when we are both gone.

Ok now one year later, this dog is peeing all over the place. She is even peeing in her crate, which I was told dogs usually never do unless something is wrong. We have had the vet look her over and everything is healthy. She just seems like she has no desire to go out side to do her business now. It's almost like she's acting like a little child and rebelling. She is only 1.5 years old.

I think I am going to re-crate train her and olny let her out to go to the bathroom and reward her with play time only when she uses the bathroom outside. This is how we crate trained her in the beginning. But I never thought she would need to be retrained.

Does anyone else have any Ideas.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Redrig

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Gettysburg,PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Mountaineer
It seems like your doing everything right. I dont have an answer but maybe something is wrong with her and she needs to pee more often. Try letting her outside more often. It doesnt make sense because she was already trained to do it outside and was doing good at it.

Brian_B

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Mountain Home, AR
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 mounty / 56 f-100
I don't know a lot about dogs, but did she get scared of something outside recently? Maybe a large dog in the neighborhood or a neighbor even? I am thinking maybe she is afraid to go out by herself now.

BeauJ

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Does she go nuts when you leave (barking, whining and doesn't stop) or lick/bite herself and make sores?

spindlecone

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
San Jose, Calif
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 sport trac
BeauJ said:
Does she go nuts when you leave (barking, whining and doesn't stop) or lick/bite herself and make sores?
Reminds me of my first wife :D
get the dawg to the vet, that breed is prone to kidney problems, may need medical attention ASAP

Redrig

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Gettysburg,PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Mountaineer
He already took her to the vet. Thats the wierd part. It must be a behavor issue unless they missed someting. I guess its a good idea to try another vet for a second opinion.

BeauJ

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
She may have separation anxiety. They tend to more sores on themselves and pout when the owners are not around.

Skibug

Reaction score
City, State
Pensacola, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 Sport 4x4
Redrig said:
He already took her to the vet. Thats the wierd part. It must be a behavor issue unless they missed someting. I guess its a good idea to try another vet for a second opinion.

Yep, took her to the vet (two infact) because I did want to cover all basis. They did a complete blood and urine analisys and everything. This dog has had every test that can possibly be done to a dog. I think she may be acting out in some way. This dog has cost us alot of money and it is about to drive me insane. I warned my wife that if this dog ever became a hassle to deal with that I would not put up with it. But she has become a part of our family. I just wish the little rascal would stop peeing in the house.

She seems to act normal, but when she pees in the house she knows what she did was bad. I will see her come out of a room and when I make I contact with her, she gives me the "I'm sorry eyes" and I go in the room and sure enough, she did it. She will only do it when we are not looking. She waits for us to turn our backs and then she does it. It weird, she knows it's bad, but still does it.

We have white carpet and it's a hassle when almost every day there's an accident now.

spindlecone

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
San Jose, Calif
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 sport trac
How old is the dawg?

Redrig

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Gettysburg,PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Mountaineer

boominXplorer

Elite Ranger
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Virginia Beach, Va
Year, Model & Trim Level
00 4x4 Mounty
get her a little buzzer like they put on little kids that wet the bed. I am sure that could be interesting

spindlecone

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
San Jose, Calif
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 sport trac
to young to have put down I guess, lock her in the garage and let her pee her brains out, don't let her in the house untill she becomes socially acceptable.
If she never do's, get rid of her and get another dawg.
Carpets are expensive, dawgs a cheap

DDEBEXP

Reaction score
City, State
Duncanville, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 4x4 Eddie Bauer
when mine gets mad at me, he will poo right in front of me with no warning. This is inside, not out. My other is still in potty training mode. Make sure you are doing nothing to make her mad or left out. That could be the problem, otherwise, no clue.

DDEBEXP

Reaction score
City, State
Duncanville, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 4x4 Eddie Bauer
spindlecone said:
dawgs a cheap

These dogs are not cheap by anymeans :eek: Both mine were a fortune, that set me back from modding the ex and my mr2 :( but they were worth it :D

Premier

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Utah
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 sport
Yea, its a dog... I would get a new one.

spindlecone

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
San Jose, Calif
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 sport trac
DDEBEXP said:
These dogs are not cheap by anymeans :eek: Both mine were a fortune, that set me back from modding the ex and my mr2 :( but they were worth it :D
My wife had this little Chihuahua, her name was Mini, she was about 12 when she needed 800 bux worth of dental work, no problem, she was a nasty little bitch, hated that dawg, wife loved her.
couple mos later she needed another 5hun worth of teeth extractions.
I took mini dove hunting with me last september, guess she ran off, never to be seen again :eek:

SteveVB

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Gaithersburg, Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 Rubicon w/stuff
spindlecone said:
I took mini dove hunting with me last september, guess she ran off, never to be seen again :eek:

too bad dove season wasn't a few months earlier :D

ions

Reaction score
City, State
Pasadena, MD / Annapolis , MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 Explorer Sport Trac
This is why I go out with a girl that is a vet tech at an animal hospital...cheap rates :) nah dogs are just weird! my g/f is pet sitting a black lab that likes to eat her underwear...she has lost 7 pairs of nice victoria secret underwear...all clean too...just weird. Dog is probably very heatlhy just being a dog...stupid.

DeRocha

NEX Vice President
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Brockton, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XLT 4x4
From what I've read and been told by pet professionals is dogs will pee in the house (after being housebroken) as a signal to get more attention from it's owners. Has anything changed in your life which would affect the dog? Are you or your wife working more, or have more outside interests that is taking away time from your dog? I agree with the crate training, but I would also make an effort to spend even more time with your dog to see if that helps.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

BigDave!!!

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
San Diego,CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT 2WD
my dog used to pee all over the house and there was a certain cleaning detergent that i used to clean out the smell but i cant remember what it was. you have to clean the spot where the dog pees completely because even if you dont smell the spot where it pees it does and does it over and over again in the same spot because they think it is like a bathroom and they can do it there...my suggestion would be to re crate train it