DOH! My 4x4 is really a 4x2 how may I fix this? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

DOH! My 4x4 is really a 4x2 how may I fix this?

stackz

Reaction score
City, State
james island, sc
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 5.0 mountie
1991 4x4 vehicle.

Had to go with my dad out to an old junkyard to pull some flathead ford engines out of the mud for use in some hotrods. Anyway, we get out there and toss it in 4x4 and low range and start tugging, every now and then the wheels slip but I noticed only the right rear wheel and front left wheel were the ones spinning when we got slippage.

got back home, crawled up under and scratched the ID tag on the rear diff....sure enough 3.55 open! where's my 3L55??? grrr. front diff tag was too rusty to tell.

anyway, been doing some reading and it seems like luck of the draw at assembly line got you true lockers??? wtf?

more reading and I see that apparently my diff is 31 spline and that some bronco and F150 posi's will work? anyone confirm/deny this and can give me a proper list of trucks to look under that I KNOW the diff will swap from.

Also, what the hell kind of carrier is my front diff and where can I get a posi for it from?

thanks guys! :thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

front is a dana 35 reverse rotation, and i dont think that they make a l/s for it....as for the rear....check out ebay lots of l/s for the 8.8 there as well as full lockers

first off a true locker and a posi are totally different, think you probably know that though.

What you have in the back is a 31 spline 8.8 carrier. You have tons of options for a locker.

In the front you have a dana 35 reverse rotation carrier, known as the TTB or twin traction beam front end, again you have a ton of options for a locker.

Good luck! A limited slip or posi will still slip, front and rear lockers are the only way to get true 4x4

yeah, I know the difference between full lockers and posi units. I also know the difference between a posi/locker and an open rear haha. Just didn't expect to have a 4x4 vehicle equipped with open differentials.

can anyone point me in the direction of some factory vehicles equipped with lockers/posi's from the factory for the dana 35?? I'm new to dana rearends....is there a difference between reverse rotation and forward rotation that I should stay away from while searching the junkyard? also, do these axles use c-clips or slip axles??

I'm just looking for something better than full open diffs at this point. when I get serious I'll step up to full lockers.

the rear axle is a Ford 8.8

The front is a reverse rotation dana 35 carrier.
You cannot use a non revere rotation locker in this front end.
You will not find any stock vehicles with a limited slip or posi for the D35 TTB.

Many Explorer's did have a L/S rear, however they wear out quickly and need a rebuild at least before re-installation.

Very few if any Explorer's or Rangers came with factory lockers, in most cases this was a custom add on from the factory (had to order)

Now there are LOTS of used gear sets and lockers on this and other boards often..

ah ok, so the only place I'm going to find anything other than another open diff for the front housing is the aftermarket?

oh well, bye bye money heh.

stackz said:
ah ok, so the only place I'm going to find anything other than another open diff for the front housing is the aftermarket?

oh well, bye bye money heh.

haha pretty much

are there any other axle setups that can be easily swapped out up front in place of the dana 35?

or were there ANY explorers that came with lockers up front? guess not from what was posted. couldn't help to check my other parts explorer though I guess.

easily swapped out?
Yes, a early bronco Dana 44 :)
do a search here for solid axle conversions, from simple to long travel 4 link, its all been done, being done, and covered in full detail. :)

If you want to change gear ratio's or find a locker the entire front diff (pig) can be unbolted in a few hours on the TTB

Back