doing 5.0 swap from 96 explorer into 2007 ranger 4.0 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

doing 5.0 swap from 96 explorer into 2007 ranger 4.0

Reaction score
City, State
Jacksonville FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Ford explorer 5.0
Hi, im doing a 5.0 swap into my 2007 ford ranger with the 4.0 I have just a quick question as I have everything I need my explorer im using is a 1996 which is return style fuel and my ranger is return less so if I get the injectors and fuel rail from a 99 to 01 do I need to change my fuel pump or will it do fine with the higher fuel pressure ?, seems like what I have read the ecu does not care on the 96 to 97 models I just want to know if I need to change anything in the fuel tank or will it power it up and just back pressure it into the fuel tank if the pressure gets to high please and thank you and to all who can help me with my question.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You need to use everything from the 96 and add a return line to the ranger. I added a return line to mine using a 98 ranger sending unit in my 2001. I ran new lines for both sides just because.

You want to go returnless and go 99+ PCM you might want to find another donor, not much you can use off the 96 then.

Ok thank you CDW, just want to make sure you and everyone is on the same page work on engines and do builds but wiring is always my **** zone so I like to make sure 9 out 10 right so I make a one stop direction and not a driveway full of stuff I never needed

You need to use everything from the 96 and add a return line to the ranger. I added a return line to mine using a 98 ranger sending unit in my 2001. I ran new lines for both sides just because.

You want to go returnless and go 99+ PCM you might want to find another donor, not much you can use off the 96 then.
Thank you sir

This is true, the 96 system won't require the different engine/trans harness, or the changes to the trans. I'd do that, skip my wiring idea from the "Cmp sensor" thread.

You want to go returnless and go 99+ PCM you might want to find another donor, not much you can use off the 96 then.[/QUOTE
This is true, the 96 system won't require the different engine/trans harness, or the changes to the trans. I'd do that, skip my wiring idea from the "Cmp sensor" thread.
I think that's what I'm going to do

So the sending unit assembly will swap right into my 2007 fuel tank with no issues then ?

Yes, the same six 8mm bolts etc. Change the fuel lines when the tank is dropped. Don't put the tank back in until you have the return lines also, it covers them along the frame.

What? Why does he need to use the 96 fuel rail again?

He can use the 99-01 fuel rail and injectors with his 96 PCM
This way the fuel pump and lines will stay 2007

The 96 PCM turns on the fuel pump same as returnless. I am not trying to stir the pot I want somebody to tell me why I am wrong.
The 96 and the 99 PCM turn on the fuel pump in exactly the same way, the only difference is PLUMBING and rail pressure.

You will need 99-01 fuel rail, injectors and the wiring pigtails for them
I am confused why you guys always say you cannot use a returnless fuel system with a return style PCM

The 96 PCM turns on the fuel pump same as returnless. I am not trying to stir the pot I want somebody to tell me why I am wrong.
The 96 and the 99 PCM turn on the fuel pump in exactly the same way, the only difference is PLUMBING and rail pressure.

I am confused why you guys always say you cannot use a returnless fuel system with a return style PCM
This is what I was waiting on to hear my friend I keep reading about you guys saying this but I never get a full answer in questions I see so please my man tell me just what I need for the fuel I'm not worried about the wiring as I'm changing out the wire harnesses but I want to just be doing that not building a whole new setup if I have to ...anyone else out there got answers to go with 410 ?

My comment was about the fuel lines to the tank, not the fuel rail. I believe you and the PCM not caring about fuel pressure, the lines etc. But he has a 96 donor vehicle, so he doesn't have the 99-01 rails or injectors etc. It can be done either way, which is tougher to find, the fuel rails etc, or the fuel lines and pickup assembly?

I see!!
Well all he needs is a 99-01 5.0 rail, injectors and pigtails
Then his 2007 sender, pump and line remain.

Otherwise he will need to find a new 5.0L PCM donor and engine wiring change the transmission dtrs and CAm synchro, etc etc, fuel line from a v6 Ranger 98-07 with the correct cab and bed, and add the return line plumbing to his truck, sounds like a royal PITA
Trying to use a 99-01 PCM with a 96 engine and trans causes more problems, the EGR plumbing is completely different, the PCM went from analog (96-97.5) to digital (99-01) and so did much of the wiring and sensors. 96-97.5 = 5 wire mas, 99-01 = 7 wire mas. 96 cps 2 to 99+ 3 wire CPS, solenoid pack in the trans changed wiring, as did the dtrs sensor....you know where I am going with this. To keep the 96 stuff he already has and use it saves headaches.
I would rather just go snag the fuel rail, so many 5.0 trucks in the yard, craigslist or ebay

Hi, im doing a 5.0 swap into my 2007 ford ranger with the 4.0 I have just a quick question as I have everything I need my explorer im using is a 1996 which is return style fuel and my ranger is return less or will it do fine with the higher fuel pressure ?, seems like what I have read the ecu does not care on the 96 to 97 models I just want to know if I need to change anything in the fuel tank or will it power it up and just back pressure it into the fuel tank if the pressure gets to high please and thank you and to all who can help me with my question.

He asked "so if I get the injectors and fuel rail from a 99 to 01 do I need to change my fuel pump", the answer is you can keep your pump and plumbing with the correct parts
I plan to convert my 88 BII to returnless because my return line is kinked and I want to keep the fuel cooler for more power and better mpg
I have run 99-01 5.0L trucks with a 96 PCM for testing. You get lots of codes, but it runs.
This told me the 96-01 PCM all control the fuel pump the same way
So I researched it and it does.
Apparently the later model trucks like Gen V explorer have voltage modulation to the pump that regulates the fuel flow. Our early returnles systems do not.
PCM sends power to relay through inertia switch and fuse, exact same wiring from 96-01

Thanks guys what I needed to know the simpler the better

Ditto, the less complicated the better.

You don't have emissions testing there do you, that was my first thought when you posted 96 engine to a 2007 truck?

I tried a similar setup with no luck. We used a 97 pcm on a 99 harness on a friend's truck and it seemed to run good. Towed a boat on a 300 mile trip and on the way back it started acting funny. Ended up blowing a hole in one of the pistons and all exhaust was white from heat. The air fuel ratio is off without tuning the PCM for the different injectors.

You might be able to change just the rail and injectors and it work but fuel trims won't be perfect without tuning.

I tried a similar setup with no luck. We used a 97 pcm on a 99 harness on a friend's truck and it seemed to run good. Towed a boat on a 300 mile trip and on the way back it started acting funny. Ended up blowing a hole in one of the pistons and all exhaust was white from heat. The air fuel ratio is off without tuning the PCM for the different injectors.

You might be able to change just the rail and injectors and it work but fuel trims won't be perfect without tuning.

I agree it would be smart to check the air/fuel ratio before driving it much at all. The different fuel pressure might be just like a major airflow change, of a part like bigger heads or cam etc. If the program isn't designed for the big change, the A/F ratio will be off by some amount.

I found and bought a superchips hand held tuner for cheap loaded in the performance tune so should take away alot of the lean issue

Also why do I need to change the fuel injectors ? Aren't they both 19lbs lbs an hour and they should still fit in the fuel rail that I get but quote me if I'm wrong

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Also why do I need to change the fuel injectors ? Aren't they both 19lbs lbs an hour and they should still fit in the fuel rail that I get but quote me if I'm wrong

Yes they are both 19lbs but one is 19lbs at 38 psi and the other is 19lbs at 60 psi. Dwell may also be different but I am unsure.

Back