Doing my 2014 3.5l PIU timing chain | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Doing my 2014 3.5l PIU timing chain

Skullcandy

Reaction score
City, State
Camden NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer PIU
So I had to finally pull the trigger and do the timing chain and phasers on my PIU. Kept getting the P0016 and it would come and go but decided dig in and do the replacement.
Read the other threads about the job and was ready for a fun time. So far I have the motor torn down to the point where I have removed the timing cover. This is a pretty involved but if you take it slow it is very manageable. I have a Haynes manual and there are a few discrepancies in the procedures like you don’t have to remove the alternator. I didn't need to move the ac lines any. Remember to depressurize the fuel rail. The most tedious part for me was unclipping all the connectors and getting the valve covers off.
I have my cam holding tools coming tomorrow I have to get the TP55 Torx plus socket then I can work on getting the phasers off. I ordered my timing kit off Rock Auto. I got the Cloyes 90783SB kit, new vvt actuators, motorcraft water pump, Mahle gaskets, Dayco harmonic balancer. Going to get the phasers from ford tho. I’ll try to post some pics if I can figure out a hosting site.

Some pics

8-C26264-C-C6-E6-455-D-A494-216-EA2012-DF1

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you put together a "How To" thread I will set you up with a free Elite membership:chug:

Added a few pictures. Will work on a how to post detailing what I did step by step when I am all done and it’s back together correctly lol.

Definitely look forward to this. Just hit 100k on mine and want to do the timing chain as well

Definitely look forward to this. Just hit 100k on mine and want to do the timing chain as well
Are you planning on replacing the water pump as well?

Peter

Are you planning on replacing the water pump as well?

Peter

Not at the moment.

When I look back on the motor fleet repair history, it shows the water pump was replaced at around ~84k because there was leaking. Since the timing chain is right there, you'd think they would also pay attention to that, but there was no mention, so I'm going to atleast get a good look at it. I'm getting clicking at idle when it first starts up but that's the only thing I'm experiencing

All the work To get to the chain I would replace the water pump even with just 84k but that’s just me.

Finally got the engine back together. Had to order a new crank bolt and lost a coil pack bolt. Runs so good now! So smooth and quiet. And my fuel mileage is back up! Took a couple months working on and off and sometime not touching it for days. Lots of life getting in the way.

Finally got the engine back together. Had to order a new crank bolt and lost a coil pack bolt. Runs so good now! So smooth and quiet. And my fuel mileage is back up! Took a couple months working on and off and sometime not touching it for days. Lots of life getting in the way.
Ha,same here. Changed water pump on my 2014 Explorer last November. Took me a month to do it with family matters getting in the way. Some days I didn't even touch it! took a day to get the harnesses unclipped from about 20 anchors all atop the engine. Harmonic balancer bolt was frozen. That took a day to get off. My impact tools are low impact. PB soak and impact blaster 4 or 5 times. Gave up for the day. Started again next morning, a couple more blasts and it came right out. Not enough space between timing cover and frame to remove timing cover but it wigges out. Re-used timing chain as it was tight and in great condition. Had some confusion about the timing. only one defined colored link on the OEM chain. The other timing links on the chain were just shaded and difficult to see if they were in the right spot but if your installing a new chain, you won't have to worry about that. Watched a lot of YouTube videos on how other guys were doing it and learned a lot from that. Got back together and ran beautiful until last month when the phasers started making noise. Had to take it all apart again and change all four phasers. I found them hard to get back on the cams as they have to be put on as an assembly while ensuring that the secondary chains don't become un-synchronized. I'm sure you know most all of this by now. Mine is almost all back together. Timing pin broke on crank and I had to drill it out to replace it. It's always something.

Back